Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2015/11/20 13:51:33 UTC

Re: [HEADS-UP] Brooklyn graduation <- git repos, docs, cli

Hi All-

So we are sitting at:

* brooklyn - master project, pointers to others
* brooklyn-core - contains util, api, core, policy, and rest api
* brooklyn-ui - JS GUI
* brooklyn-library - tomcat, cassandra, etc

But a few things have occured to me:

(1) It will be confusing have `brooklyn-core` as a git project of which
the sub-dir `core` containing *maven* project `brooklyn-core` is just
ONE part.  Maybe that piece should be called `brooklyn-server` ?

(2) David and Geoff sent a proposal for a CLI *client* -- which would
allow us to tweak the getting started guide to be based on a CLI.  This
CLI client could be a separate project, maybe `brooklyn-cli`.  As it
sounds like it will be written in go (which makes easy-to-install
binaries) and the way go works life will definitely be easier if this is
a separate project.

(2A) We have an existing `brooklyn-cli` used to launch the server from
the CLI.  Rename this `brooklyn-server-cli`?

(3) The docs/ subdir (the web-site) also is a logically separate piece;
personally I think it deserves its own git repo (`brooklyn-docs`) and
not in `brooklyn`

(4) I know git submodules are far from perfect but maybe that's a good
thing to put into `brooklyn`, along with a README and a master pom which
can build all subprojects.  (It's either submodules or scripts I think,
and decent info in the README, because otherwise it will be confusing
for people using the code.)

One nice thing about the above is that the different languages and
contribution areas are different git projects; docs (markdown) in one,
UI (js/html) in another, library (java/yaml) another, server (java), and
cli (go).  Assuming people agree with the above we'd have a different
proposal:

* brooklyn
* brooklyn-server
* brooklyn-docs
* brooklyn-ui
* brooklyn-cli
* brooklyn-library

Although it is a fair few projects it feels natural.  In for a penny, in
for a pound.

Finally in terms of process I'd like to suggest a (5) that we:

* remove references to "incubator"
* cut a 0.9.0 release
* bump to 1.0.0-snapshot
* do a git copy with history to move things into new repo structure in
someone's personal space (but removing the awful big binaries from early
history), and possibly test the submodules workflow
* point infra at that repo and with the list of commands we ran to make that

Where people have opinions can I suggest they reply with something like:

(1) +1
(2) +1
(2A) +1
(3) +1
(4) +0
(5) +1

(^^^ my votes)

Best
Alex

Posted by Thomas Bouron <th...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi,

Here are my £0.02:

(1) +0.5. I'm agree with the point you made Alex. But as few modules within
this project will be use elsewhere, I think a `brooklyn-commons` make more
sense than `brooklyn-server`
(2) +1
(2A) +1
(3) +1
(4) +1, I like git submodules
(5) +1

Best.

Thomas Bouron • Software Engineer @ Cloudsoft Corporation •
http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com/
Github: https://github.com/tbouron
Twitter: https://twitter.com/eltibouron

Re: [HEADS-UP] Brooklyn graduation <- git repos, docs, cli

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Getting docs separated into their own project is a good idea since it
makes it easier fr users to start to contribute.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: [HEADS-UP] Brooklyn graduation <- git repos, docs, cli

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Zaccardo <mi...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.