Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Renato Romano <r....@set-network.com> on 2003/04/14 17:26:23 UTC

Application Deployment with Ant

I'm using tomcat 4.1.18, and noticed that using ant for deploying
applications, the directory tree is not found under webapps, while this
is the case when simply copying the application war file under webapps.
This has consequences, for example, when referencing resources/files
using InputStreams. I know maybe this is not a correct way to access
resources in a web app, but i'm intersted in where my application is
under tomcat, and why not under webapps !!!??

Thanks
Renato

____________________________________
Renato Romano
Sistemi e Telematica S.p.A.
Calata Grazie - Vial Al Molo Giano
16127 - GENOVA

e-mail: r.romano@set-network.com
Tel.:   010 2712603

Re: Where is my application ?

Posted by Karsten Wutzke <kw...@web.de>.
No real advantage. Just that it's where I'd expect web apps to be...
It's a matter of good order.

Karsten

Re: Where is my application ?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Re: Where is my application ?

Posted by Karsten Wutzke <kw...@web.de>.

Re: Where is my application ?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Well, sure it it, but you should get the inputstream from the
ServletContext object, not a FileInputStream.  When you use the ant deploy
task, your app is served directly from the .war file which is perfectly
legitimate under the servlet spec.  In fact, you have absolutely no
guaranteed access to the file system other than the temp directory provided
by java and and the servlet spec.  So, you should be using...

context.getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/myresource.xml");

or just grab it off the classloader.

Where is my application ?