Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Marco Huber <mh...@project-team.de> on 2008/01/11 11:48:59 UTC

Classpath order of dependencies

Hello,

I have a little problem with the order of my dependencies.
Depending on the posistion of one dependency I get an error during my tests.

The first pom snippet result in an NoClassDefFoundError:

    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
        <artifactId>hibernate-validator</artifactId>
        <version>3.0.0.ga</version>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.jboss.embedded</groupId>
        <artifactId>hibernate-all</artifactId>
        <version>beta2</version>
    </dependency>

If I change the order of this two dependencies I get not error.

Is the order in the pom the crucial factor on how the classpath is build
in maven? Or is it possible that transient dependencies overwrites
direct dependencies?

Thank you for your help

Marco