Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2007/07/03 21:19:12 UTC

Why require an opensource RI?

Sam,

In your proposed changes to the JCP policy you added:

"License their Reference Implementations (RIs) and Technology
Compatibility Kits (TCKs) in a manner that neither requires an NDA
for access, nor imposes restrictions that would preclude
implementation of the original JSR under open source licenses. In
particular, the license for the TCK may not impose FOU requirements
on implementations."

I'm curious why we care about the license for anyone else's
implementation of a JSR even if it is the "Reference Implementation"?

-dain

Re: Why require an opensource RI?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 7/3/07, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> Sam,
>
> In your proposed changes to the JCP policy you added:
>
> "License their Reference Implementations (RIs) and Technology
> Compatibility Kits (TCKs) in a manner that neither requires an NDA
> for access, nor imposes restrictions that would preclude
> implementation of the original JSR under open source licenses. In
> particular, the license for the TCK may not impose FOU requirements
> on implementations."
>
> I'm curious why we care about the license for anyone else's
> implementation of a JSR even if it is the "Reference Implementation"?

Good point.

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: Why require an opensource RI?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
In that case we would only need binary redistribution rights which
could be FOU restricted to TCK testing.

-dain

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.