Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> on 2009/04/21 11:29:00 UTC

Building trunk, was: [ApacheDS embedded] Deadlock accessing schema

Jörg Schaible wrote at Dienstag, 21. April 2009 08:57:

[snip]

> I'll try to check it out and build it. We'll see ...

I've checked out trunk of apacheds, shared and daemon. Building daemon and
shared went fine, but building apacheds from root misses
org.apache.directory.server:apacheds-server-xml:jar:1.5.5-SNAPSHOT in
module xbean-spring. This is kinda strange, because you both modules are in
the reactor. However, you've defined in reality a dependency cycle, because
module server-xml declares module xbean-spring as dep, but module
xbean-spring uses server-xml directly in the configuration of the
dependency-plugin. Therefore the cycle cannot be detected by Maven in
advance and even more Maven is not able to build the deps in proper
sequence.

As best practice you should use the artifactItems element (and therefore the
unpack goal) in the dependency-plugin's configuration only for artifacts
that are never build in the same reactor build. For elements part of the
reactor you should add the artifact as real dep (possibly with provided or
test scope), use goal unpack-dependencies and select these deps with the
configuration elements of that goal. However, in your case it will only
make the dep cycle explicit, but not solve the problem.

The only possibility currently for me to build was to comment out the
dependency-plugin in xbean-spring module, build that one skipping the build
of the tests, build the server-xml module afterwards and was then able to
build from the apacheds root again (*).

*) Well, not quite right. server-xml/pom declares a dep to
org.apacheds.server:mitosis:1.5.5-SNAPSHOT that is not part of the apacheds
nor of the shared component. However, I simply dropped that dep in the POM
(since it was test only) and the server-xml module could be build without
problem (incl. tests).

- Jörg

Re: Building trunk, was: [ApacheDS embedded] Deadlock accessing schema

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Stefan,

Stefan Seelmann wrote at Sonntag, 26. April 2009 00:40:

> Hi Jörg,
>
> thanks for the report.
>
> I removed the mitosis module from the poms, it was removed some time ago.
>
> I have no clue how to solve the cyclic dependency you detected...

You may move the IT test into an own module. If you keep the current
structure, you will not be able to release 1.5.5 because of the circle.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Jörg,

thanks for the report.

I removed the mitosis module from the poms, it was removed some time ago.

I have no clue how to solve the cyclic dependency you detected...

Regards,
Stefan