Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Robert DiBlasi <r_...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/15 03:36:36 UTC

Question about Bridge?

Hello,

I have been going over the bridge....not literally ;-) and I have another
quick question:

Qustion:
I have been going though the org.apache.batik.bridge and going down All
Known Subinterfaces and All Known Implementing Classes and i have run into a
few elements that I can not find....are this elements not implemented yet or
did I miss something....I really want to know where they are implemented if
not in bridge package.....I bet a missed a lot here....?

altGlyphDef
altglyphItem
animate
animateColor
animateMotion
animateTransfrom
cursor
definition-src
def
font-face-format
font-face-name
font-face-uri
foreignObject
metadata
mpath
script
set
style
symbol
tref
tspan
view

I am trying to get a fell for the bridge package....and I just started with
org.apache.batik.bridge interface....seemed like a logical place to start
looking....the documentation for this interface states:

A tagging interface that all bridges must implement. A bridge is
responsible on creating an appropriate object according to an Element.

I would like to start programming with Batik on a regular basis.....so I
will start asking really basic questions and progress very fast....I hope to
start answering more questions on the batik user list ....to give the
contributors more time to code ;-)

Any help is always appreciated :-)

We all learn by sharing what we know
Robert A. DiBlasi
http://www.svgnotebook.com

Re: Question about Bridge?

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Robert,

There are a number of elements which are not implemented (or not yet):

SMIL Animation:

animate, animateColor, animateMotion, animateTransform, set, mpath

Others:

cursor, definition-src, font-face-format, font-face-name

defs and metadata do not requite any special processing in the bridge.

foreignObject is supported in the sense you could use it (building
on top of Batik), but we do not do anything with it by default.

The others you are listing are implemented: altGlyphDef, altGlyphItem
(see the SVGAltGlyphElementBridge), symbol, script and style, tref,
tspan and view (look for their tag constants in the Bridge to understand
where/how they are used).

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Vincent.

RE: Question about Bridge?

Posted by Thierry Kormann <tk...@ilog.fr>.
> Qustion:
> I have been going though the org.apache.batik.bridge and going down All
> Known Subinterfaces and All Known Implementing Classes and i have
> run into a
> few elements that I can not find....are this elements not
> implemented yet or
> did I miss something....I really want to know where they are
> implemented if
> not in bridge package.....I bet a missed a lot here....?
>

> animate
> animateColor
> animateMotion
> animateTransfrom
> mpath
> set

SMIL is not supported in batik yet.

> cursor
> definition-src

not implemented yet.

> def

the <defs> element does not require a bridge.

> altGlyphDef
> altglyphItem
> font-face-format
> font-face-name
> font-face-uri
> tref
> tspan

handle in the SVGTextElementBridge or an utility class

> foreignObject
> metadata
> script
> style

Those elements do not require a bridge.

> symbol

handle by the SVGUseElementBridge.

> view

handle by the SVGAElementBridge.

> A tagging interface that all bridges must implement. A bridge is
> responsible on creating an appropriate object according to an Element.

Yes. Basically, the bridge transforms an element into its associated object
into the GVT world (see batik.gvt package). Some elements do not need a
bridge because they have no 'graphic representation' or do not influence the
rendering at all (such as defs, metadata, foreignObject...). Some others are
handle by another bridge for convenient purposes such as the
SVGTextElementBridge that handles <tspan>, <tref>...

Hope that helps,

Regards,
Thierry.