Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt England <me...@mengland.net> on 2005/11/27 02:03:53 UTC

How does Subversion manage soft links? On Windows?

How does Subversion manage soft links?

I'm hoping that it works just fine for unix systems/filesystems.

What about Windows?  What happens when a soft link in a repo created via linux is exported/checked-out to a Windows system?

Once again, I'm sure this is a faq, but I could not find anything on the tigris.org faq or the online red-bean.com book.

-Matt

Re: How does Subversion manage soft links? On Windows?

Posted by Noel Yap <no...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/05, Matt England <me...@mengland.net> wrote:
> Yes, for ldconfig-created symlinks (in at least Linux systems, but probably other Unix flavors) to shared objects (aka dynamic libraries, aka *.so files).  Without these symlinks builds don't work.
>
> If I could find away around the linux/unix sym-links-required-for-systems-and-builds-to-work-with-shared-object madness, I'd be right with you and would want to do away with the sym links.  Got any suggestions?

Are you not able to create these symlinks at build time prior to the
rest of the build?

> Alas, these (.so files) serve platform-dependent needs and as such are stored in platform-specific directories.

I see.  What I've done in the past is to create the files under
something like `uname -s`/`uname -p`.  Alternatively, if you have AFS
already in your infrastructure, it has a nifty @sys symlink which
points to a system-specific directory.

Noel

Re: How does Subversion manage soft links? On Windows?

Posted by Matt England <me...@mengland.net>.

Posted by Noel Yap <no...@gmail.com>.

Re: relocate into differen repository, UUID failure?!

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 11/27/05, Clemens A. Mensik <cl...@ip2.at> wrote:

> is it possible to ignore this msg? or is my only
> solution to checkout the nee repository?

In your case, when you've combined multiple different repositories,
your only solution will be to check out new working copies.  This is
actually a safety feature, since those working copies won't work
anyway, since the revision numbers on the files they contain are
different than the equivalent revisions in the new combined
repository.

-garrett

relocate into differen repository, UUID failure?!

Posted by "Clemens A. Mensik" <cl...@ip2.at>.
Hi,

as some of you might remember, severel weeks ago
I've had a problem, because I didn't know how to
load severel small repositories into a new one.

Problem solved, because svnadmin has a parameter
option "--parent-dir" which has solved my problem.

Now I would like to relocate my local already checked-
out repositories but get the erro:
"The repository at... has uuid ...but the WC has ..."

is it possible to ignore this msg? or is my only
solution to checkout the nee repository?

greets
clemens

Re: How does Subversion manage soft links? On Windows?

Posted by Matt England <me...@mengland.net>.
At 11/27/2005 05:36 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:
 From the front page of subversion.tigris.org:

>  # Versioning of symbolic links
>
>  Unix users can place symbolic links under version control. The links
>  are recreated in Unix working copies, but not in win32 working copies.
>
>(Maybe you need to search again for "symbolic link" rather than "soft link"?)

Yes, that was my problem.

Posted by Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org>.
Matt England wrote:
> How does Subversion manage soft links?

 From the front page of subversion.tigris.org:

   # Versioning of symbolic links

   Unix users can place symbolic links under version control. The links
   are recreated in Unix working copies, but not in win32 working copies.

(Maybe you need to search again for "symbolic link" rather than "soft
link"?)

--Phil.