Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/24 04:12:31 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Project proposal - Apache Rainbow

Could you speak a little more about the current status of the project?

From the, now available, repository, it seems that it is in very early stages?

https://github.com/Natural-Intelligence/rainbow/graphs/contributors

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: [DISCUSS] Project proposal - Apache Rainbow

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

The main Issue I see with the proposal is that is only a small (if any) community around the project and only a couple of committers. Projects like this can fail to attract a developer community and end up exiting the incubator. So I guess the question is does the Incubator want to accept a project with little community around it and take that risk? We generally don’t do this, but there have been some exceptions to this rule in the past. What do other IPMC members think?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Project proposal - Apache Rainbow

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree, that was my first thought: work during the incubation phase to build project/community.

Let’s say what the other IPMC members think (maybe some would like to join the project ;) ).

Regards
JB

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

One other thing you may need to consider is your name. Changing a projects name is expensive in term of infra time and being such a generic name there may be issues with it.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Project proposal - Apache Rainbow

Posted by Lior Schachter <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
At this stage the community around rainbow is indeed rather small. However,
I believe the incubator platform is where we can and should build a
substantial community.
Natural Intelligence is committed to invest in this project as it is used
as the foundation of our production pipelines.
Moreover we have been discussing the viability of this project with several
Israeli companies which all showed a great interest in contributing and
joining the community.

We think using the incubator platform will expedite the process of forming
a community as clearly this project is needed and has a great value to many
companies.

Regards,
Lior

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Yes, it’s a very early stage project, discussed between several Apache contributor.

We wanted to use the incubator as the "platform" to build the project and the community around the project.
Do you think it’s more a "lab" related project ?

Regards
JB