Posted to user@struts.apache.org by th...@webmd.net on 2002/02/21 18:09:42 UTC

Struts design question about maintenance screens

Hi Folks:

thanks to your help, you indicated that the Action should preload form
values on a maintenance form.   This works great.

I have an Action object that allows maintenance on a table (call it table
A).   This action object handles "preloading of data"
as well as the actual "updating of data" (Add/Edit/View).

Another question I have:
- The action object gets kind of "kludgey" in how I have to keep track of
"whether I am preloading data (called from a html:link)" or whether I am
"Applying" the data (called from the form Submit).
Is it "overkill" if I create 2 different actions (1 action to preload the
data and another to "update" the data)?    I think by doing it this way, it
may be easier for me to incorporate the "sensitive form resubmit"
prevention by using tokens.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

thanks,
Theron

Re: Struts design question about maintenance screens

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
The standard DispatchAction can be a handy way to keep various tasks
together in the same Action, where they can share code, but without
getting into kludgy performs. Dispatch lets you have a separate perform
for each task, but all in the same Action, where they can be easier to
maintain.

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/doc-1.0.2/api/org/apache/struts/actions/DispatchAction.html

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services