Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Zakharov, Vasily M" <va...@intel.com> on 2006/07/13 17:46:29 UTC

Where's the GUI Installer?

Hi, all,

What's about a GUI installer in G1.1 release? Was it "discontinued" or
something?

In M5 it was available on the site, in 1.0 it was built automatically,
but in 1.1 I couldn't even find an installer jar after build...

Thank you!

Vasily Zakharov
Intel Middleware Products Division

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 7/17/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> No one was interested in updating it for all the changes between 1.0
> and 1.1 so we have dropped it at least for now.  I think that with
> the new plugin capabilities the concept of how the installer might
> work needs to be rethought.   We might have a "no-choice" installer
> that installs a micro-geronimo and then use the plugin capabilities
> to install everything else.  However, this would need an entirely new
> way to customize the plugins from the installer and also plugin-
> ization of many more configurations/modules that go into the current
> geronimo pre-built servers.

In truth, not much "pluginization" is required, since the plugin
installer can be coerced to install plain CAR files.  I think the
overall install experience should be pretty much unchanged (select
features, configure e.g. ports for selected features, install selected
features and apply customizations).  We'd just need to change the
"install" process to generate a plugin list with the selected
"features" and write the configuration settings for the selected
features to config.xml.  And decide whether to install from the
internet or provide a local repository to install the plugins from.

I don't mean to trivialize this, since there will be some work
required to figure out how to get IzPack to write out the config files
we need and so on, but I don't think the amount of work is
fundamentally different than it was before.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Posted by pa...@targetgroup.net.
"No one was interested in updating it for all the changes between 1.0
and 1.1 so we have dropped it at least for now."

Will IBM pick this up at all if they bring out a WAS CE 1.1 version ?

Target
www.targetgroup.net

DISCLAIMER.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or take any action or reliance upon it.
The content of this message may also contain personal
views of an employee of this company and does
not necessarily represent the view of the company.
This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus.
It has also been scanned by MAILsweeper to enforce our e-mail
policy. If you have any concerns or comments about the content
of this message, please  e-mail support@targetgroup.net.

http://www.messagelabs.com

Re: Where's the GUI Installer?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jul 13, 2006, at 8:46 AM, Zakharov, Vasily M wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> What's about a GUI installer in G1.1 release? Was it "discontinued" or
> something?

No one was interested in updating it for all the changes between 1.0
and 1.1 so we have dropped it at least for now.  I think that with
the new plugin capabilities the concept of how the installer might
work needs to be rethought.   We might have a "no-choice" installer
that installs a micro-geronimo and then use the plugin capabilities
to install everything else.  However, this would need an entirely new
way to customize the plugins from the installer and also plugin-
ization of many more configurations/modules that go into the current
geronimo pre-built servers.

thanks
david  jencks

Re: Where's the GUI Installer?

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vasily,  the installer GUI came a long way during 1.1 but did not
make the release and is not under active development right now (at
least not that I am personally aware of). The source code is still
available in the assemblies directory.   Hopefully this work can be
picked back up soon, possibly for 1.2 or later.

Best wishes,
Paul