Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com> on 2013/07/31 20:06:32 UTC

FW: CS 4.1.0 - this will help a number of people who struggle with Advanced Networking

The KVM installation guide at http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html/Installation_Guide/hypervisor-kvm-install-flow.html , is unnecessary complicated and inaccurate.
For example, we don't need to configure vlan on kvm host by users themselves, cloudstack-agent will create vlans automatically.
All users need to do is to create bridges(if the default bridge created by cloudstack-agent is not enough), then add these bridge names from cloudstack mgt server UI during the zone creation.

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <Je...@citrix.com>.
There are 10 open Doc bugs against the KVM docs. Whoever does rewrite this chapter might want to consult those items for ideas.

If your issues aren't included there, please do file an additional bug with your valuable input!

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20CLOUDSTACK%20AND%20component%20in%20(doc%2C%20Doc)%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Ready%20To%20Review%22)%20AND%20text%20~%20%22kvm%22

Jessica T.
Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Sounds like a good basic config.
I am behind a firewall so I need a little corner of modernity that does
not require changes to and does not touche  the public IP and does not
affect existing production web applications running on existing hardware.
Once this works, I should be able to add more hardware and move
production applications into the private cloud and hook them up to the
greater universe.
My boxes have a single NIC but I could spring for another one if that
turned out to be the best configuration to get up and running in an hour.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

RE: FW: CS 4.1.0 - this will help a number of people who struggle with Advanced Networking

Posted by Philip Andrews <pa...@Thunderhead.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Here's a simple (not recommended) one-nic setup:

http://marcus.mlsorensen.com/cloudstack-extras/cs-4.1-kvm-networking-one-nic.rtf

And a simple two-nic setup:

http://marcus.mlsorensen.com/cloudstack-extras/cs-4.1-kvm-networking-two-nic.rtf

Hasty docs put together on the road...

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
This is a great step forward.
Does anyone have an installation manual that is correct?
When will there be a version of Cloudstack with a  manual that actually
works?

I have given up on Cloudstack for now but will give it another shot when
it works.
I hope that someone at least walks through the procedure once before
releasing a new version.
It is very disheartening to spend hours executing procedures and then
redoing it when it does not work trying to find where one went wrong.
There are no verification steps in the process to help understand where
you got off the track.

IMHO the manual is too complex in trying to support too many options.
There should be a simple track through for each of the main hypervisor
choices. It would also be helpful to include some diagrams and
descriptions of what the proposed installation is supposed to look like
at key points. "At the end of these steps, you will have a KVM
hypervisor that is attached to your firewall as x.x.x.x on eth0.xxxx and
VLANs on xxx.xxx......"

Trying to guess what one is making by reading the recipe is a bit
frustrating.

Ron

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.