Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Tony Freeman @ TeamXL" <tf...@teamxl.org> on 2005/08/11 14:13:17 UTC

Remove OLD mm.mysql driver (not compatible with newer MySQL db) #JAMES-394

Stefano B. wrote in JIRA
"Please comment on this bug if you agree on this change now that we have
derby configured by default or if you would like to still distribute
org.gjt.mm.mysql driver (I tested it doesn't work with Mysql 4.1+ and the
"upgrade to connector/j" has already been a solution for at least 2 users
having problems with mysql on the mailing list)."

I do not know enough about JAVA to know whether your suggested change will
impact my operation.  I have no experience with Derby.  I am using James
2.2.1-RC1 on an XP box using MySQL 4.1.11 for all stores.  I am using the
'org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource' and downloaded the MySQL
connector 'mysql-connector-java-3.1.8-bin.jar' from
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/3.1.html.  I have been using the
db stores since starting with James four plus years ago and I am now
supporting 5 domains.  I could not be more pleased and would hope that
future releases remain compatible with MySQL with little additional effort.
I understand the licensing issues as far as packaging the MySQL supplied
connector goes but again, would hope that James plans does not prevent me
from doing what I did on future releases.

I wish I knew more about "building" mailets and matchers from a Win32
platform.  I expect to have a need to deploy some custom, but universally
appreciable, mailets in the near future as I am using James with db stores
as the communication backbone of a comprehensive and integrated web
application.

Regards,
Tony Freeman
TEAMXL
678.344.2305 Office
509.693.2598 eFax
tfreeman@teamxl.org

Re: Remove OLD mm.mysql driver (not compatible with newer MySQL db) #JAMES-394

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> Can you not include the latest mysql connector/j under
> mysql's FLOSS exception?  Having read it, it looks ok to me,
> with the only real exception being that you would have to
> distribute james source code on the same medium as james binaries.

IIRC Apache foundation has a rule: no GPL code in the ASF repository.
So, it doesn't matter wether we can redistribute it or not, ASF says we
cannot put it into the repository.

BTW I don't see any problem: it is REALLY easy to download the connector/j
and put it in the james/lib folder.
Everyone using a DB different from mysql or using mysql 4+ was already doing
this before.

Stefano

RE: Remove OLD mm.mysql driver (not compatible with newer MySQL db) #JAMES-394

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
Can you not include the latest mysql connector/j under mysql's FLOSS
exception?  Having read it, it looks ok to me, with the only real exception
being that you would have to distribute james source code on the same medium
as james binaries.

Daniel.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.