Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au> on 2008/05/31 08:14:11 UTC

best format for high speed printing

Hey Guys,

Got a question - this may or may not be the best place to ask it.

What's the best file format for production printing?

My XSLT/XML/XSL-FO conversion process takes about an hour, but conversion to
PCL takes near on 12hrs (or more) and Postscript is looking very similar
with an astronomical file size.

Is there an efficient file format available that is much faster, and still
allows me to control duplexing and tray selection per page?

Is there another forum anyone knows of that would be best to address this
issue?

Thanks
Martin.

RE: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
Never mind - I see the link in the output.xml

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
No problem - will make the necessary adjustments and have a go at committing it.. ( I have the latest trunk..)

Of curiosity - can you send me the link to the HP PCL Reference material?

Make sure you are working on the latest FOP Trunk (downloaded from the
SVN repository), then create a patch file using your favourite SVN
client. Or with the command-line client:
svn up
svn diff > /path/to/patchfile.patch

Then follow the procedure here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#patches

Conventions can be found here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/conventions.html
(The most important part is to use spaces instead of tabs, otherwise
just try to mimic the existing code. We don't mind fixing minor
differences while reviewing the patch.)

BTW, the HP PCL reference lists the following valid values for the ESC&l#S
command:
0 - Simplex
1 - Duplex, Long-Edge Binding
2 - Duplex, Short-Edge Binding
So that contrasts a little with your javadoc.

It would be great if you could also add some documentation for the
website. Otherwise, the new feature won't be much use for others. The
file that would need to be changed is the following:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/trunk/output.xml?view=log

Good luck!

On 02.06.2008 12:30:52 Martin Edge wrote:
> OK,
>
> So far in PCLGenerator.java in src\java\org\apache\fop\render\pcl\ under line 230 I have added:
>
> /**
> * Selects the duplexing type for the page. The parameter is usually printer-specific.
> * "1" means duplex
> * "0" means simplex
> * @param selector the integer representing the duplexing status of the page
> * @throws IOException In case of an I/O error
> */
> public void selectDuplexType(int selector) throws IOException {
> 	writeCommand("&l" + selector + "S");
> }
>
> And in PCLRenderer.java in src\java\org\apache\fop\render\pcl\ under line 408 I have added:
>
> // Is Page duplex?
> String pageDuplex = page.getForeignAttributeValue( new QName(PCLElementMapping.NAMESPACE, null, "page-is-duplex"));
> if (pageDuplex != null) {
> 	gen.selectDuplexType(Integer.parseInt(pageDuplex));
> }
>
> Will give it a test and see how we go - I'm not familiar with the procedures and/or naming conventions with modifying Apache code.. what should I do? :)
>
> Thanks
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
All done - lets see if my first patch gets approved! :-)

Thanks
Martin.

Make sure you are working on the latest FOP Trunk (downloaded from the
SVN repository), then create a patch file using your favourite SVN
client. Or with the command-line client:
svn up
svn diff > /path/to/patchfile.patch

Then follow the procedure here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#patches

Conventions can be found here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/conventions.html
(The most important part is to use spaces instead of tabs, otherwise
just try to mimic the existing code. We don't mind fixing minor
differences while reviewing the patch.)

BTW, the HP PCL reference lists the following valid values for the ESC&l#S
command:
0 - Simplex
1 - Duplex, Long-Edge Binding
2 - Duplex, Short-Edge Binding
So that contrasts a little with your javadoc.

It would be great if you could also add some documentation for the
website. Otherwise, the new feature won't be much use for others. The
file that would need to be changed is the following:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/trunk/output.xml?view=log

Good luck!

On 02.06.2008 12:30:52 Martin Edge wrote:
> OK,
>
> So far in PCLGenerator.java in src\java\org\apache\fop\render\pcl\ under line 230 I have added:
>
> /**
> * Selects the duplexing type for the page. The parameter is usually printer-specific.
> * "1" means duplex
> * "0" means simplex
> * @param selector the integer representing the duplexing status of the page
> * @throws IOException In case of an I/O error
> */
> public void selectDuplexType(int selector) throws IOException {
> 	writeCommand("&l" + selector + "S");
> }
>
> And in PCLRenderer.java in src\java\org\apache\fop\render\pcl\ under line 408 I have added:
>
> // Is Page duplex?
> String pageDuplex = page.getForeignAttributeValue( new QName(PCLElementMapping.NAMESPACE, null, "page-is-duplex"));
> if (pageDuplex != null) {
> 	gen.selectDuplexType(Integer.parseInt(pageDuplex));
> }
>
> Will give it a test and see how we go - I'm not familiar with the procedures and/or naming conventions with modifying Apache code.. what should I do? :)
>
> Thanks
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Make sure you are working on the latest FOP Trunk (downloaded from the
SVN repository), then create a patch file using your favourite SVN
client. Or with the command-line client:
svn up
svn diff > /path/to/patchfile.patch

Then follow the procedure here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#patches

Conventions can be found here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/conventions.html
(The most important part is to use spaces instead of tabs, otherwise
just try to mimic the existing code. We don't mind fixing minor
differences while reviewing the patch.)

BTW, the HP PCL reference lists the following valid values for the ESC&l#S
command:
0 - Simplex
1 - Duplex, Long-Edge Binding
2 - Duplex, Short-Edge Binding
So that contrasts a little with your javadoc.

It would be great if you could also add some documentation for the
website. Otherwise, the new feature won't be much use for others. The
file that would need to be changed is the following:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/trunk/output.xml?view=log

Good luck!

On 02.06.2008 12:30:52 Martin Edge wrote:
> OK,
>
> So far in PCLGenerator.java in src\java\org\apache\fop\render\pcl\ under line 230 I have added:
>
> /**
> * Selects the duplexing type for the page. The parameter is usually printer-specific.
> * "1" means duplex
> * "0" means simplex
> * @param selector the integer representing the duplexing status of the page
> * @throws IOException In case of an I/O error
> */
> public void selectDuplexType(int selector) throws IOException {
> 	writeCommand("&l" + selector + "S");
> }
>
> And in PCLRenderer.java in src\java\org\apache\fop\render\pcl\ under line 408 I have added:
>
> // Is Page duplex?
> String pageDuplex = page.getForeignAttributeValue( new QName(PCLElementMapping.NAMESPACE, null, "page-is-duplex"));
> if (pageDuplex != null) {
> 	gen.selectDuplexType(Integer.parseInt(pageDuplex));
> }
>
> Will give it a test and see how we go - I'm not familiar with the procedures and/or naming conventions with modifying Apache code.. what should I do? :)
>
> Thanks
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: best format for high speed printing

That page sequence itself doesn't have an effect on the PCL file (as it
doesn't have a concept of page groups). The tray selection extension
really just inserts the right PCL command at the beginning of each page
that the extension was specified for. If you omit the extension on one
page, no command will be inserted.

On 02.06.2008 11:19:05 Martin Edge wrote:
> Yeah - doing that now.. Sorry I meant to ask -
>
> What if the combination of Letterhead v Plain Paper tray changes per page sequence ? (example below)
>
> <areaTree>
>   <pageSequence>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P1" nr="1" formatted-nr="1" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 2
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P2" nr="2" formatted-nr="2" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P3" nr="3" formatted-nr="3" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P4" nr="4" formatted-nr="4" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>   </pageSequence>
>   <pageSequence>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P5" nr="5" formatted-nr="5" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P6" nr="6" formatted-nr="6" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P7" nr="7" formatted-nr="7" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 2
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P8" nr="8" formatted-nr="8" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 2
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>   </pageSequence>
> </areaTree>
>
> (obviously duplexing I will have to test.. am downloading the FOP source now.. (not that I'm a java programmer ;))
>
> I really do appreciate your help by the way - in the last few days I have made heaps of progress thanks to your combined efforts -
>
> Thanks again,
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
That page sequence itself doesn't have an effect on the PCL file (as it
doesn't have a concept of page groups). The tray selection extension
really just inserts the right PCL command at the beginning of each page
that the extension was specified for. If you omit the extension on one
page, no command will be inserted.

On 02.06.2008 11:19:05 Martin Edge wrote:
> Yeah - doing that now.. Sorry I meant to ask -
>
> What if the combination of Letterhead v Plain Paper tray changes per page sequence ? (example below)
>
> <areaTree>
>   <pageSequence>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P1" nr="1" formatted-nr="1" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 2
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P2" nr="2" formatted-nr="2" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P3" nr="3" formatted-nr="3" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P4" nr="4" formatted-nr="4" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>   </pageSequence>
>   <pageSequence>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P5" nr="5" formatted-nr="5" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P6" nr="6" formatted-nr="6" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 1
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P7" nr="7" formatted-nr="7" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 2
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>     <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P8" nr="8" formatted-nr="8" simple-page-master-name="basicPage">
>       <page> <--- Tray 2
>       </page>
>     </pageViewport>
>   </pageSequence>
> </areaTree>
>
> (obviously duplexing I will have to test.. am downloading the FOP source now.. (not that I'm a java programmer ;))
>
> I really do appreciate your help by the way - in the last few days I have made heaps of progress thanks to your combined efforts -
>
> Thanks again,
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
Looks like the easiest approach for me is to modify the Intermediate Format and override the default selection for paper tray.

I added the extension in as suggested, and each "ViewPort" now has pcl:paper-source="2" xmlns:pcl="blah blah"

<areaTree>
  <pageSequence>
    <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P1" nr="1" formatted-nr="1" simple-page-master-name="basicPage" pcl:paper-source="2" xmlns:pcl="http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/extensions/pcl">
      <page>
      </page>
    </pageViewport>
    <pageViewport bounds="0 0 595275 841889" key="P2" nr="2" formatted-nr="2" simple-page-master-name="basicPage" pcl:paper-source="2" xmlns:pcl="http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/extensions/pcl">
      <page>
      </page>
    </pageViewport>

So I can just iterate over that set and adjust as required. Will investigate the duplexing side now - will let you know how I go.

Thanks
Martin.

The tray selection extension just results in a command in PCL. If that
works with changing duplexing, I don't know. You'll have to do some
experiments.

On 02.06.2008 11:02:15 Martin Edge wrote:
> Would these extensions work if the duplexing can vary per PageSequence?
>
> Or should I see what is put in the intermediate format to define this and override it in there?

Jeremias Maerki

RE: best format for high speed printing

The tray selection extension just results in a command in PCL. If that
works with changing duplexing, I don't know. You'll have to do some
experiments.

On 02.06.2008 11:02:15 Martin Edge wrote:
> Would these extensions work if the duplexing can vary per PageSequence?
>
> Or should I see what is put in the intermediate format to define this and override it in there?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
The tray selection extension just results in a command in PCL. If that
works with changing duplexing, I don't know. You'll have to do some
experiments.

On 02.06.2008 11:02:15 Martin Edge wrote:
> Would these extensions work if the duplexing can vary per PageSequence?
>
> Or should I see what is put in the intermediate format to define this and override it in there?

Jeremias Maerki

RE: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
Would these extensions work if the duplexing can vary per PageSequence?

Or should I see what is put in the intermediate format to define this and override it in there?

A Simplex/Duplex selection (ESC&l#S) extension hasn't been implemented,
yet, but should be easy to add if you take tray selection as a template.

On 02.06.2008 10:16:38 Martin Edge wrote:
> Cool - I have converted to the intermediate format, and then happily got it to translate that to PCL..
>
> Is there any additional functionality in the Intermediate format ?
>
> For instance, can I set tray selection and duplex selection per PageSequence?
>
> (Otherwise I will just generate one PCL, split it and add each flag per PCL)
>
> Thanks
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Tray selection is available: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/output.html#pcl-extensions

A Simplex/Duplex selection (ESC&l#S) extension hasn't been implemented,
yet, but should be easy to add if you take tray selection as a template.

On 02.06.2008 10:16:38 Martin Edge wrote:
> Cool - I have converted to the intermediate format, and then happily got it to translate that to PCL..
>
> Is there any additional functionality in the Intermediate format ?
>
> For instance, can I set tray selection and duplex selection per PageSequence?
>
> (Otherwise I will just generate one PCL, split it and add each flag per PCL)
>
> Thanks
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
Yah, I've somewhat inherited this system and I'm still learning about the technologies.. so I wouldn't have known this wasn't the smart way to go.. :)

Will try the PCL Renderer...

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au>.
OK - A further bit of research suggests - the reason I'm going to PDF first, is I have to rewrite some barcode information which dictates the page numbering for an intelligent envelope inserter

Can you edit text easily in a PCL page? I'm using .NET

Huh? You convert PDF to PCL? Why don't you use the PCL renderer? That
removes the seemingly time-consuming conversion from PDF to PCL. Or
rather, if you can choose, I'd go for PostScript output. PDF is not the
only output format FOP supports directly:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/output.html#pcl

On 01.06.2008 05:03:52 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hey Guys (my emails were tidier but apache's spam protection is ridiculous :)),
>
> But anyway ...
>
> Fair enough on your response kindaian... – thanks for your answer (and you too Jeremy!)
>
> Perhaps the software I am using to do the conversion from PDF to PCL could be improved.. I tried postscript, but so far I have been processing for 21hrs.. My 79Mb PDF file is now a 94 Gig Postscript file! (that can’t be real, surely??).
>
> PCL takes about 6hrs for 20,000 pages (5333 recipient * four pages) with every 4th and 5th recipient in duplexing mode and the 1st page taking from the letterhead tray, the rest from the plain paper tray. The current process would create 20,000 files and add them to one larger file (this process is fast) marking duplexing and paper requirements whilst it aggregates them.
>
> As it seems my format options are somewhat limited PCL/PS/AFP [we call the AFP the coppers over here ☺] –
>
> The XSLT -> FO and FO -> PDF processes work quickly. It’s simply the PDF -> PCL/AFP/PS stage which is killing me.
>
> I’m using ghostscript for this purpose. Just their standard PDF2PS.bat script (and a slightly hacked one for PCL).
>
> Can you recommend a better software for this purpose, or is the conversion to PDF first potentially hazardous in performance to my desired printing type (PCL or PS).
>
> Like, maybe XSL -> FO -> SOMETHING -> PCL or XSL -> FO -> PCL?
>
> Thanks guys your help is most appreciated!
> Martin.
>
> -------------------------------

Jeremias Maerki

Re: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Huh? You convert PDF to PCL? Why don't you use the PCL renderer? That
removes the seemingly time-consuming conversion from PDF to PCL. Or
rather, if you can choose, I'd go for PostScript output. PDF is not the
only output format FOP supports directly:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/output.html#pcl

On 01.06.2008 05:03:52 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hey Guys (my emails were tidier but apache's spam protection is ridiculous :)),
>
> But anyway ...
>
> Fair enough on your response kindaian... – thanks for your answer (and you too Jeremy!)
>
> Perhaps the software I am using to do the conversion from PDF to PCL could be improved.. I tried postscript, but so far I have been processing for 21hrs.. My 79Mb PDF file is now a 94 Gig Postscript file! (that can’t be real, surely??).
>
> PCL takes about 6hrs for 20,000 pages (5333 recipient * four pages) with every 4th and 5th recipient in duplexing mode and the 1st page taking from the letterhead tray, the rest from the plain paper tray. The current process would create 20,000 files and add them to one larger file (this process is fast) marking duplexing and paper requirements whilst it aggregates them.
>
> As it seems my format options are somewhat limited PCL/PS/AFP [we call the AFP the coppers over here ☺] –
>
> The XSLT -> FO and FO -> PDF processes work quickly. It’s simply the PDF -> PCL/AFP/PS stage which is killing me.
>
> I’m using ghostscript for this purpose. Just their standard PDF2PS.bat script (and a slightly hacked one for PCL).
>
> Can you recommend a better software for this purpose, or is the conversion to PDF first potentially hazardous in performance to my desired printing type (PCL or PS).
>
> Like, maybe XSL -> FO -> SOMETHING -> PCL or XSL -> FO -> PCL?
>
> Thanks guys your help is most appreciated!
> Martin.
>
> -------------------------------

Jeremias Maerki

Re: best format for high speed printing

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Jun 1, 2008, at 05:03, Martin Edge wrote:

Hi

<snip />
> Perhaps the software I am using to do the conversion from PDF to
> PCL could be improved.. I tried postscript, but so far I have been
> processing for 21hrs.. My 79Mb PDF file is now a 94 Gig Postscript
> file! (that can’t be real, surely??).

Depends on the contents, but PDF has internal compression while PS
does not. For a 'fair' comparison of the sizes, you should generate
the PDF uncompressed.

Also, you could try using the PS Renderer directly, and check if the
file FOP generates, takes as long and is as large as the one produced
by GhostScript.

Anyway, 94 GB for 20000 pages means almost 5 MB per page, which does
indeed seem to be on the high side.

> <snip />
> Can you recommend a better software for this purpose, or is the
> conversion to PDF first potentially hazardous in performance to my
> desired printing type (PCL or PS).

Maybe, but I can't say for sure, if you need both PDF and PS output
from the same base XSL-FO, the link I provided earlier to the
Intermediate Format could be of use.
You could generate the intermediate area tree once, and render that
same file to both output formats. Since PDF and PS use the same font-
metrics, this is a possibility. Trying the same with PCL or AFP may
still lead to undesirable differences...

The benefit in terms of processing would be that layout, as the most
resource- and time-consuming part of the process, will only have to
be done once.

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas

best format for high speed printing

Posted by "kindaian@gmail.com" <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 31.05.2008 08:14:11 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Got a question - this may or may not be the best place to ask it.
>
> What's the best file format for production printing?

Depends in which part of the world you are in. Australia seems to be PCL
land. Europe is often PostScript land. And the US are often AFP land. It
always depends on a number of factors. I like PostScript best and have a
distaste against PCL. Others prefer other formats.

> My XSLT/XML/XSL-FO conversion process takes about an hour, but conversion to
> PCL takes near on 12hrs (or more) and Postscript is looking very similar
> with an astronomical file size.

You need to take into account that XSL-FO is a rather complex and
versatile document format which takes its toll on processing effort. The
actual rendering to the target format is rather fast and somewhat
comparable for all supported output formats (except the bitmap formats
which are slower). The big effort is spent with the actual layout which
is the same for all output formats.

> Is there an efficient file format available that is much faster, and still
> allows me to control duplexing and tray selection per page?

Probably not as I think the major factor is XSL-FO, not the output
format. Personally, I like using XSL-FO for large volume output but you
have to know that the process is CPU-intensive because it's so versatile
and can be used in so many different use-cases (business-style documents,
books, manuals etc. etc.). Optimize your stylesheets and think about
parallelizing the processing! I've built systems with rather satisfying
performance figures with FOP in the past, but only by making use of
multiple CPUs/cores.

You can of course switch to one of the commercial, proprietary output
management solutions. They are usually faster but you leave the area of
open standards at least what the input format concerns.

> Is there another forum anyone knows of that would be best to address this
> issue?
>
> Thanks
> Martin.

Jeremias Maerki