Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Gentilin <jo...@gentilin.org> on 2004/09/14 22:22:11 UTC

Help, Tomcat 4.1.30, Linux Stops responding after 24-48 hours

I have a fairly plain Tomcat install with one Web Application installed
under RedHat 9.0.
After about 24 - 48 hours, the whole Tomcat server stops responding and
there are no errors
in Catalina.out. It seems to of allocated VM ~ the size of physical
memory, but none of the file
report any VM memory errors. I have not yet  installed a debugger and
run Tomcat in debug mode,
tomcat is installed on a server that is a bit hard to get at the
console. Also I am interested on how
others would set out to diagnose a remote server problem like this.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: The same setup runs on a Windows / Tomcat server with out issue.

tia
John G

The System:

Tomcat 4.1.30
JDK Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_05-b04, mixed mode)
Apache 2.0.50
mod_jk2 (although it affects stand alone only mode too)
My web application attaches to a MySql server Ver 4.1

When the Tomcat stops responding;

If I telnet in, I get connected
If I type GET / HTTP/1.0, no response
If I run strace -p, it is stopped at a accept(9, statement

I can get into MySql from the cmdline and do a show status, and the rest of
the linux box is running fine.

/proc/pid/status says
Name:   java
State:  S (sleeping)