Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2011/05/10 09:14:37 UTC

Re: Developing on MAPREDUCE-279

Folks,

On Mar 21, 2011, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>   We are very happy to have pushed MR-279 to the MR-279 dev-branch
> where we look forward to collaborating with everyone.
>
>   This work is only partially complete. We plan to continue its
> development in the branch and do so in an aggressive manner - we want
> to get it done!

Just thought I'd give a heads up.
Things are progressing really well on MR-279 - all of the major
features we planned for are complete and checked-in; and  we are
currently in a developer-testing phase. We would love for more eyes an
feedback.
We have put up some test plans at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/NextGenMapReduceDevTesting
.
I've been asked for some more docs offline and I'll get some of it on
the MAPREDUCE-279 jira soon (hopefully tmrw).
thanks,
Arun

Re: Status on MAPREDUCE-279 and plans forward

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Jun 11, 2011, at 6:28 AM, Tom White wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> Great to hear that MR2 is nearly ready for trunk.
>
> MR2 is being built using Maven, so step 5 is about getting Maven to
> build all of MR I presume? The svn unsplit (HADOOP-7106) and
> Mavenization work in HADOOP-6671 should make this approach more
> tractable. Or were you thinking that there would be a hybrid Ant/Maven
> build during a transition period?

Good point Tom. I'm thinking of having a hybrid ant/maven transition
period to allow both to proceed independently.

> Also, for step 3, what did you think of the directory layout I
> suggested in http://bit.ly/mr-279-maven-layout?

Makes sense, maybe we should stage that too. Lets continue that
discussion on jira.

thanks!
Arun

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.