Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/05/07 22:21:07 UTC

Websocket support??

Hi All,Does httpclient support websockets? I want to try websockets out and I am hoping httpclient might support and saw some emails from 2010 talking about it.I am willing to use another package if needed.
Regards,-Tony

Re: Websocket support??

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Oleg for your prompt response and good to hear you are working on http2 support.
-Tony

     On Friday, May 8, 2015 2:12 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

 On Thu, 2015-05-07 at 20:21 +0000, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Hi All,Does httpclient support websockets? I want to try websockets out and I am hoping httpclient might support and saw some emails from 2010 talking about it.I am willing to use another package if needed.
> Regards,-Tony

Tony
HttpClient does not support websockets, and is unlikely to support it in
the future. I am working on adding HTTP/2 support, though.

Oleg

Re: Websocket support??

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2015-05-09 at 23:20 +0200, Pavel Bucek wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> would you at least consider generic support for HTTP UPGRADE? WebSocket
> can be build on top of that and does not necessary need to be part of
> httpclient codebase..
>
> Regards,
> Pavel

Hi Pavel

This is not a matter of me not wanting to consider it, but a matter of
us as a project not having enough resources to open another construction
site.

Oleg

Re: Websocket support??

Posted by Stefan Magnus Landrø <st...@gmail.com>.
Pavel, why not contribute this yourself?

Sendt fra min iPhone

Re: Websocket support??

Posted by Pavel Bucek <pa...@oracle.com>.
Hi Oleg,

Re: Websocket support??

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 14:20 -0400, Nick Chang wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> May I ask the reason why HttpClient is unlikely to support Websockets in
> the future?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nick

(1) In my opinion HTTP/2 will eventually render Websockets superfluous
(2) We simply have no resources to adequately support another protocol.

Oleg

Re: Websocket support??

Posted by Nick Chang <ni...@edge-technologies.com>.
Hi Oleg,

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 4:12 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-05-07 at 20:21 +0000, Tony Anecito wrote:
> > Hi All,Does httpclient support websockets? I want to try websockets out
> and I am hoping httpclient might support and saw some emails from 2010
> talking about it.I am willing to use another package if needed.
> > Regards,-Tony
>
> Tony
> HttpClient does not support websockets, and is unlikely to support it in
> the future. I am working on adding HTTP/2 support, though.
>
> Oleg

edge technologies
Nick Chang, Senior Software Engineer
P 703.260.6005