Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Kevin C." <ke...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/14 12:58:17 UTC

FAQ: Andy Levy

Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Probably.  You're corrupting data on disk.  This isn't a TSVN or even
>an SVN issue - you need hardware stability before you can have any
>confidence in the safety of your data.  If you aren't using a
>journaling filesystem, start doing so - it won't eliminate chances for
>corruption but it'll help.
>
>The *true* solution is to get a reliable drive.  "Space invader
>noises" are a strong signal that the drive is about to physically
>fail, and heat is one of a drive's worst enemies.

Journaling filesystem? I am using FAT32 & created a repo as Native FS.

Re: FAQ: Andy Levy

Posted by Holger Hoffstätte <ho...@wizards.de>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Holger Hoffstaette <ho...@wizards.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:04:48 -0500, Andy Levy wrote:
>
>>> back up the drive, reformat it as NTFS, then restore the data.  If you're
>> No need to - simply quit all running programs and run
>> %windir%\system32\convert.exe and you'll be able to convert
>> almost-on-the-fly (during the next reboot) without reformatting.
>
> Will that work for an external USB-mounted HD?  Kevin stated in his

Why wouldn't it? IOW yes, i think so. If I remember correctly you only
have to reboot when you're converting the boot drive (C: for most people).

Holger

Re: FAQ: Andy Levy

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/06, Holger Hoffstaette <ho...@wizards.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:04:48 -0500, Andy Levy wrote:

> > back up the drive, reformat it as NTFS, then restore the data.  If you're
>
> No need to - simply quit all running programs and run
> %windir%\system32\convert.exe and you'll be able to convert
> almost-on-the-fly (during the next reboot) without reformatting.

Will that work for an external USB-mounted HD?  Kevin stated in his
original post that this was his setup.  I just used XP's Disk Manager
when I set my USB drive up (came as FAT32, I converted to NTFS), but
then again, it was fresh out of the box so I had no data there to save
in the first place.

Re: FAQ: Andy Levy

Posted by Holger Hoffstaette <ho...@wizards.de>.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:04:48 -0500, Andy Levy wrote:

> IIRC, NTFS has some journalling capabilities.  You'll probably want to

"Some" would be an understatement.

> back up the drive, reformat it as NTFS, then restore the data.  If you're

No need to - simply quit all running programs and run
%windir%\system32\convert.exe and you'll be able to convert
almost-on-the-fly (during the next reboot) without reformatting.

> using Win9x or ME, you're SOL though.  But again, journalling really is
> only marginally helpful and will only help to protect against data loss in
> the event of an OS crash or sudden power loss. If the data is being
> corrupted because the disk is physically failing, you're hosed.

All very true and good advice.

-h

Re: FAQ: Andy Levy

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
IIRC, NTFS has some journalling capabilities.  You'll probably want to
back up the drive, reformat it as NTFS, then restore the data.  If
you're using Win9x or ME, you're SOL though.  But again, journalling

Re: FAQ: Andy Levy

Posted by KevinGPO <ke...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Andy

Re: FAQ: Andy Levy