Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Manan Shah <ma...@citrix.com> on 2012/12/19 20:11:25 UTC

[ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Hi,

I would like to update the existing JIRA ticket on IPv6 support and I have also added a requirements page to track this feature. Please provide feedback on the requirements.

JIRA Ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-452
Requirements: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+Support+in+CloudStack

Regards,
Manan Shah

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
<Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:
> I would assume a 'modern' OS as well. Centos 6.2 / Ubuntu 12.04 / Windows
> 2008(and above).
> Did you configure /etc/dhcpv6/dhcpc6.cnf with:
> duid  LL eth0

Which guest OS/dhclient you're referring to?

--Sheng

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

RE: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

> I am exploring all the possibility right now.
>
> Currently dnsmasq in our systemvm doesn't support DHCPv6, so we would
> either update to a newer version dnsmasq, or using other dhcp server(e.g.
> dhcpd) on DHCPv6.
>
> But replacing the dhcp server is a big work, all the configuration
> need to be rewritten. Regarding dhcpd, I haven't figured out how much
> effort we need to spend if we want to switch.
>
> There is one possible solution for this release: say, using dhcpd only
> for IPv6, to reduce our effort of introducing IPv6(if it's easier than
> moving to dhcpd). And then we can make the choice in the later release.
>
> John, do you have some experiences can share regarding dhcpd?
>
> Also, regarding your problem, have you used cloudstack to distribute
> IP? I don't think we support leasing on two /28s in advance network now?

So, in my lab env I've made a few changes to the server and UI to allow multiple IP blocks in basic network (haven't tried in advanced yet), then additionally I'm passing a netmask down to the agent, then that's passed through to dhcp_entry.sh, and then into edithosts.sh, which I've updated to support dhcpd.  The one thing I wanted to do but haven't is to update edithosts.sh to support both dnsmasq as well as dhcpd.

Note: this was done in-house without community involvement as I didn't expect general interest in this, but I'm happy to use experience gained to write similar support in the ASF tree.

Johh

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM, John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM, John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co> wrote:

> >> network
> >>

> >> Sure, one suggestion: I've been using ISC's dhcpd instead of dnsmasq
>  as
> >> they have some silly limitations (in "test" but I keep meaning to
> >> contribute). Might be a good time to switch?
> >>

> > Well, I think dhcpd cannot be using as DNS server. So seems you need to
> > have both dhcpd and dnsmasq running. That's not that convenient as one in
> > all solution…
>
> I have dnsmasq running as a caching DNS resolver but not answering DHCP
> requests.  It might not be convenient, but at least it follows the RFC. :)
>
> > And what's the limitation you're talking about regarding dnsmasq?
>
> dnsmasq will only offer leases within a single IP block on a given NIC.
> e.g. if you want to offer leases on two /28s through eth0, dnsmasq can't do
> it.
>
> From a quick glance at it's man page, looks like it can do v4 and v6
> leases at the same time…

You mean dhcpd?

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM, John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:17 PM, Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If there is no other opinions, I would begin with DHCPv6 in shared
>> network
>>> as first step.
>>

>> Sure, one suggestion: I've been using ISC's dhcpd instead of dnsmasq    as
>> they have some silly limitations (in "test" but I keep meaning to
>> contribute). Might be a good time to switch?
>>

> Well, I think dhcpd cannot be using as DNS server. So seems you need to
> have both dhcpd and dnsmasq running. That's not that convenient as one in
> all solution…

I have dnsmasq running as a caching DNS resolver but not answering DHCP requests.  It might not be convenient, but at least it follows the RFC. :)

> And what's the limitation you're talking about regarding dnsmasq?

dnsmasq will only offer leases within a single IP block on a given NIC. e.g. if you want to offer leases on two /28s through eth0, dnsmasq can't do it.

From a quick glance at it's man page, looks like it can do v4 and v6 leases at the same time…

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:

> On 01/09/2013 01:17 AM, Sheng Yang wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org> wrote:

Sure. I like open discussion more...

--Sheng

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

RE: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

I'd think if you saved the addresses in numeric form (vs string) it wouldn't be too bad…interesting convo at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/420680/how-to-store-ipv6-compatible-address-in-a-relational-database

RE: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.
Heya,

Took the liberty of copying the proposal into email as this makes discussion much easier. Comment inline like a regular email.

> IPv6 Support
>
> 1       Background
> CloudStack does not support IPv6 today. Users/Customers are starting to ask for IPv6 support in CloudStack. With some users running out of IPv4 addresses, this should be a important requirement. With complete IPv6 support, customers would be able to deploy Public/Private clouds on both IPv4 and IPv6 environments

Agreed, we are already running out of IPv4 space today. So I've also been working on getting some IPv6 support into CloudStack, mainly for isolated networks.

> 2       Requirements
> Moved all of the requirements from the following JIRA ticket.

> This is quite a large feature, but we are lacking complete IPv6 support at this moment.
>
> We should support IPv6 for:
> - The Management server itself
> - Communication with the Hypervisors
> - Communication with the System VMs
>
> Those three are probably the easiest work, we also need to support IPv6 for instances.
>
> In both the Advanced and Basic zone Instances should be able to get a non-NAT true and native IPv6 address.
>
> We should also not limit them to having one IP, they should be able to get multiple IPv6 addresses.
>
> In the basic zone it can be done pretty easily by having the Virtual Router also hand out IPv6 over DHCPv6 and have your router in the network handle the gateway work.

Technically this is a very sound idea, but scale needs to be discussed. Having static assignments in a database like we do for IPv4 could have potential impact as the address space available is multitudes bigger than in IPv4. Technically one can have 18.446.744.073.709.551.616 hosts in a single /64 network, you don't want to be doing a database query on such a table to lookup the IP for a host. (Not that it's very reasonable to assume this we would ever see networks this size) My thinking was more geared to using SLAAC for determining  addressing to get this burden away from cloudstack management server, but this would make other configuration like the firewall a lot more difficult. The other issue with using DHCPv6 is the pseuso addressing that a lot of systems use a the moment, lots of relatively short lived IPv6 addresses on an interface in addition to the one IPv6 address that is based on the modified EUI-64. This might be a feature that we would want to encourage for security reasons, but again this makes firewalls potentially more difficult.

> > In the advanced zone it becomes more difficult.
>
> One way could be that the network admin creates a static route for a /48 towards a Virtual Router and then the VR can hand out /64s to Instances.
>
> But static routing can become a problem, so you might want to use OSPF, LISP or even iBGP for getting those prefixes to the VR.

Not many network admins I know would be comfortable with dynamic routing protocols for this purpose. Especially in a cloud where the number of changes could potentially be very high. (People constantly creating and destroying networks and VR's) This would trigger to much calculations and require serious power of the routers dealing with those networks. With a sizable number of VRs this could cripple the device. Out of the three my vote would be the (i)BGP solution, but I foar more prefer a static setup. The admin prepares a set of "public ip", "route" mappings in the router(s) and the database, CloudStack can then allocate this public ip to a VR and the associated route will be there on the external router to route the traffic.  A nice additional feature would be an option to add the external router to the orchestration and dynamically provision and remove the routes.

> This is a big feature, but I think the Basic zone is the easiest for now.

I would vote for thinking up a good solution for both and doing the advanced zone in one go. But that is very simply because my use case is for advanced networking together with IPv6, we do not use basic networking in any of our deployments.

> In the Advanced Zone you COULD keep everything behind the VR IPv4 and have the VR do IPv6 loadbalancing, but that would still not be true IPv6 connectivity.

This is probably not a good idea :-) In my experience this will work, but give all kinds of unexpected failures (like protocols where the IP is passed inside the protocol). Think about the application that is connected on an IPv4 socket but receives (or is requested to return) an IPv6 addy in the protocol.

> NAT in the VR seems like a firewall, but a true statefull firewall in the VR could do the same while the Instances still have publicly routeable IPv6 addresses.

I think we should focus on true statefull firewalls. This would encourage people to think more on security and allows the use of IPv6 privacy extensions right from the host.

> There is no functional spec on this yet, but we have to keep this in mind that we need IPv6 support. People are running out of IPv4 space.

What would be considered a functional spec? I think that there are more than enough use cases to which I can add my personal use case that I can't get an IPv4 allocation to extend the public ip range on one of my clouds at the moment. The shortage is real and causing problems for me already.

That said, simply enabling IPv6 will not "fix" the problem until there is a widespread adoption of IPv6 by endusers. Still let's not play the chicken and egg game, but fix IPv6 in CloudStack and take the lead.

> 3       UI / UX Requirements
> All fields (input fields and display fields) that take IP Addresses would need to support both IPv4 and IPv6

I think it's bigger than this. Do we need service offerings to tell if a network should have IPv6, IPv4 or both? In that case we need to be able to tell what kind of addressing needs to be configured and how. Depending on the solution we choose we need configuration for the static routes and mappings to public addresses. It probably also ties in with the multiple address per nic configuration and this also has UI implications. We would need configuration screens to configure privacy extensions (ipsec, replacing the VPNs). Firewall configurations will become more complex and might need additional screens for IPv6 statefull firewall configuration. Also the exisiting network configuration might need to be tuned to the type of networking, we don't need to give the user the possibility to configure portforwarding on an IPv6 only network for example.

In addition simple stuff like the count for available public IP addresses might need to be revisited to make the difference between IPv4 and IPv6 clear in the UI.

> 4       Upgrade Scenarios
> Following upgrade scenarios should be supported:
>
> No upgrade scenarios need to be handled, as this is a new functionality.

We might need to consider a scenario where a user might want to add IPv6 support to an existing network. If we change service offerings to determine support for IPv4 or IPv6 we need to convert existing network offerings to support IPv4.

RE: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Anthony Xu <Xu...@citrix.com>.
Some questions,

Will CS support IPv6 in basic zone/network?
Does that mean CS support both host and guest IPv6 in 4.1?

Anthony

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.

Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support