Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2004/10/19 05:49:04 UTC

Documentation Update

	I've put a couple more chapters online for the book.  It now
covers the basics of the product, JDBC and JMS resources, and
configuring web application deployment plans.  As usual, any comments
would be welcome.

http://chariotsolutions.com/geronimo/

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: Documentation Update

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Is this project documentation?  Cool!  Can we get it into the project
> svn?

	It's product documentation, and it's also a book -- it is covered
by a contract with a publisher.  The terms include free electronic
distribution and availability for future updates and so on, but the
copyright remains with the publisher.  I'm writing it in DocBook.  At this
point, as far as the publisher and I are concerned I can check the output
(HTML/PDF) in to the Geronimo repository as documentation to go on the web
site for the project, though it would need to retain the copyright to
Pearson Education.  I don't think I can check in the source (at least, it
couldn't be covered by an Apache-style documentation license).

	I'm not sure if the non-free-as-in-speech-ness of the source means
that there would be resistance to putting the output directly on the
Geronimo web site.  In fact, I'm kind of hoping someone will pipe up with
an answer one way or the other.  My commitment is to produce quality free
(as in beer) documentation for the product, regardless of whose web site
it ultimately lives on.  If you can go to the book store and buy a hard
copy too, so much the better.  :)

Aaron

Re: Documentation Update

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.