Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Sebastian Mohr <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/29 11:59:28 UTC

A code name for Apache Flex 5?

Hi there,

Since using code names for Adobe Flex seemed to be a
good practise (e.g. 'Halo', 'Gumbo', 'Hero'), I wonder if we
should find a code name for Apache Flex 5? Thoughts?

--
Sebastian (PPMC)
Interaction Designer

Looking for a Login Example with Apache Flex? Please check out this code:
http://code.google.com/p/masuland/wiki/LoginExample

Re: A code name for Apache Flex 5?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> The problem with a code name is that any member of the PPMC (And possibly committers?) can decide to release at any time, for pretty much any reason.
Actually it possible for anyone to make a release, but practicalities usually mean it limited to commiters. The PMC votes on accepting the release but there only has to be three +1 votes and more + 1 votes than -1 votes. No vetos are allowed. The release does have to comply with ASF policy on licensing etc

Thanks,
Justin

Re: A code name for Apache Flex 5?

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 1/30/2013 1:57 PM, Phillip wrote:
> I personally think there should be a codename.

  The problem with a code name is that any member of the PPMC (And
possibly committers?) can decide to release at any time, for pretty much
any reason.  And that may not include stuff that some people are working
on.  So, I don't see a code name for the next release as being
beneficial in any way.

  If anyone wants to develop code names for specific features they are
working on; they are more than welcome to.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: A code name for Apache Flex 5?

Posted by Phillip <pl...@easee.de>.
I personally think there should be a codename. We are all "brain-artists" and prove me wrong, but sometimes this work is dry and odd. All committers and people working here, their brains need a star shining at the horizon, to be motivated to reach our goals. A codename represents an image and gives this whole thing a personality, besides moving packages, breaking 42 major tests, compiling modules, run for the 100th time in a day etc.
Just my opinion.

So +1 for a codename

Excalibur is great, (Doug | King) Arthur and 5th (century | flex version) suits perfectly well for me.
What about just the word
"grale" addressing the same King Arthur story, but standing for his search for it.. the wholy grale.

Its short and meaningless to those having concerns of a codename, but shiny to those who know the true meaning.

Ps:
said to introdruce myself asap a while ago.
hope a link to xing is ok ;)
http://www.xing.com/profile/Phillip_Luedeling
Excuse its all german!

mobile mail

Posted by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
If we did use code names could be have a running alphabet one?  Like your android ones work...

C-Cupcake
D-Donut
E-Eclair
F-Froyo
G-Gingerbread
H-Honeycomb
I-Ice Cream Sandwich
J-Jelly Bean

http://source.android.com/source/build-numbers.html

-Mark

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

I thought it was much more plan to do a 4.10 instead of a 5.0 until
UIComponent/Styles has been reviewed (rewrited).
Did I miss something ?

-Fred

AW: A code name for Apache Flex 5?

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I wouldn't recommend using the name Excalibur as I remember Apache Cocoon and quite a lot of other projects used to use the IoC Container Excalibur, which seems to be a retired Apache project ... and whenever I think of Excalibur in the context of IT-Stuff, the second thought "thank god we don't have to use that anymore" :-)

Just my 50tc ;-)

Chris

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
Excalibur sounds great for whatever is nicknamed next :-)

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.

Fred wrote:
>I thought it was much more plan to do a 4.10 instead of a 5.0 until UIComponent/Styles has been reviewed (rewrited).

I agree with Igor. I think we are currently working on Apache Flex 4.10 & 4.11, & 4.12, ... etc. The Apache Flex 5 designation should be reserved until a group consensus forms around one of the HTML/JS approaches being worked on by some of the very creative & ambitious members of this project. Although a huge task, I don't think that refactoring UIComponent is a "5". When / if the project can say: we removed the "Flash dependency", then we should name the version "5".

Re: A code name for Apache Flex 5?

Posted by Igor Costa <ig...@gmail.com>.
I think Frederic as a most comon sense for Apache Flex.

Apache foundation doesn't have internal moves for codenames like we had
previous at inc. company.

This isn't the right spot to start working a major release with flag Apache
Flex 5

We need to focus on the following things before:

   - Fix the current open-bugs
   - Adapt the Falcon to the SDK
   - Integrate other dependencies from Adobe donations like Squiggly and
   TLF.

Than on the begin release of Apache Flex 5 we can add the support of output
for HTML/JS.

Best Regards
----------------------------
Igor Costa
www.igorcosta.com
www.igorcosta.org

Posted by Fréderic Cox <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

--
regards,
Roland

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
My vote is 'Apache Flex 5'

Posted by Reto Mehli <rj...@flashwerk.net>.
Exactly. I totally agree.

>Since using code names for Adobe Flex seemed to be a
>good practise (e.g. 'Halo', 'Gumbo', 'Hero'), I wonder if we
>should find a code name for Apache Flex 5? Thoughts?

I see no reason for a code name.  I think it will only confuse things.

Carol

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.