Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Bajaj, Abhinav" <ab...@here.com> on 2020/01/03 23:23:02 UTC

Flink logging issue with logback

Hi,

I am investigating a logging issue with Flink.

Setup

  *   Using Flink-1.7.1 using logback as suggested in Flink documentation here<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/dev/best_practices.html#use-logback-when-running-flink-on-a-cluster>.
  *   Submitting the Flink job from the Flink dashboard.

Observations

  *   Logs from main method(outside of job graph) do not show up in jobmanager logs.
  *   Logs from the operators like map or custom operators do show up in the taskmanager logs.
  *   Logs from main method do show up in jobmanager logs when using log4j in place of logback.

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior or is this a known issue with logback integration in Flink?
Any suggestions on potential workaround or fix?

Appreciate your time and help.

~ Abhinav Bajaj

Re: Flink logging issue with logback

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
FYI, there is also a PR: https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/10811

Posted by "Bajaj, Abhinav" <ab...@here.com>.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
Hi Bajaj,

I spent a bit more time on that and I figured out the difference. The
cause is in the implementation of log4j's ConsoleAppender.

So first of all as I said before, the code path that submits a job
through Web UI redirects the std.out and std.err to a memory buffer for
the time of the "main" method execution. This is the expected behavior.
That's why the logback does not log anything. Log4j implementation is
slightly different as by default it does not follow changes to the
System#setOut. It buffers the original System.out. It has an option
though to also follow changes to the System.out: ConsoleAppender#follow
(https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html). If enabled
the log4j behaves exactly the same way as logback. After a very brief
check I could not find such property for logback (actually I like
logback's approach better).

Hope it clarifies the difference.

Posted by Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bajaj,

Bajaj, Abhinav <ab...@here.com> 于2020年1月7日周二 上午4:28写道:

Posted by "Bajaj, Abhinav" <ab...@here.com>.
Hi,

Run 2: Flink is setup to use logback as suggested in Flink documentation here<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/dev/best_practices.html#use-logback-when-running-flink-on-a-cluster>

From: Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>
Date: Monday, January 6, 2020 at 5:13 AM
Cc: "Bajaj, Abhinav" <ab...@here.com>, "user@flink.apache.org" <us...@flink.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Flink logging issue with logback