Posted to user@poi.apache.org by lepolochon <pa...@leoni.com> on 2012/01/26 19:13:59 UTC

Read xlsx file that comes from Apache in Excel 2003

Hello everybody,

I encounter a problem that is very annoying for me.
I have a Java software that use Apache to create a "xlsx" workbook.
When I read this workbook in an 2010 Excel, there is no problem.
When I read it in Excel 2003, this file does not open.

Despite the install of Microsoft converter, I have this message: " The
converter failed to open the file".
Moreover, when I open the file in Excel 2010 and save it with another name:
this new file, after the automatic conversion of Excel 2003, works !

Please, do you already know this issue ?
Could anyone help me ?

Thanks!

Paul

Re: Read xlsx file that comes from Apache in Excel 2003

Posted by Jim Talbut <jt...@spudsoft.co.uk>.
On 27/01/2012 08:57, lepolochon wrote:
> HI,
>
> I do not have test yet the tool you adviced med, but I have tested my
> program and the problem clearly comes from the insertion of pictures. As
> soon as I insert a picture, the xlsx file does not work on Excel 2003, but
> works great on Excel 2010...
>
> Paul
You don't need a fancy tool (though one might make the job simpler).
The xlsx files are just zips of a bunch of (mainly XML) files.
So unzip the xlsx file and have a look (a diff tool can make this
simpler, as can an editor able to pretty print XML).

Jim

Re: Read xlsx file that comes from Apache in Excel 2003

Posted by lepolochon <pa...@leoni.com>.
Hi,

It's me again!
I have solved alone my problem changing the version of POI.
The problem is fixed with poi 3.8 beta 5!

Re: Read xlsx file that comes from Apache in Excel 2003

Posted by lepolochon <pa...@leoni.com>.
Thanks Japa,

I will use it tomorrow then post the result to the forum !

Re: Read xlsx file that comes from Apache in Excel 2003

Posted by japa <ja...@optusnet.com.au>.
Do you have the open XML SDK 2 Productivity tool? if so, compare the 2 files
to see what is different. If not, get it. Don't know an equivalent in the
linux world.