Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org> on 2011/06/06 02:01:52 UTC

OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org

Hi I want to know if there is any formal clearance on the way OpenOffice.org
ought to be reffered as.

Since the adquisition of Sun by Oracle, they start re-inciting misquotations
of OpenOffice.org as "OpenOffice" even later they modified StarOffice as
"Oracle Open Office"

As OpenOffice.org was transfered to Apache, the proposal is quoted as Apache
OpenOffice. And now new mailing lists are generated as oo instead of ooo.

I understand there could be missconception as the beginning but lacking to
address these issues they could become more structural as time goes by (ie.
wikipage is easy to change, a mailing list is not as easy).

I would want some clarification on this topic so that the apache people
could make a decision. Also for reasons regarding trademark is important to
avoid legal issues as time goes by.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have the feeling none of the Apache people have read the OOo site
> > regarding this topic.
>
> I see your name on OpenOfficeProposal.  That means that you will be
> one of the people we will be depending on to help.  That's how things
> work around here.

yes I  woud like to think this is my way of helping.
I would re-invite apache people to lurk around the OOo site specially the
governability documentation structure of projects and  guidelines.

Best think to start is going to the main site and choosing 'about'. That
should guide you to the more structural parts of OpenOffice.org.

For a more specific things, the wiki might also carry information which
usually is more up to date since is easier to maintain.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2011, at 5:19 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
> >wrote:

> ralph.goers@dslextreme.com

> acceptable

> >> that?
> >>
> >> Sorry, I misread your message. I don't disagree with this. However,
> Apache
> >> OpenOffice.org is a bit of a mouthful.
> >>

> > Well the actual request is for the mailing list to be added an extra 'o'
> > I doubt many people will pronouce 'ooo-user' or 'oo-user'. I just have an
> > issue when is registered on the systems as 'oo'
>
> Got it. Feel free to update the wiki. If someone disagrees they will change
> it to something else.
>
> Ralph

Done, notice a similar scenario with JIRA 'code'.
I think the best however is to educate the Apache people about the trademark
and guidelines.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>wrote:
>
>> There is a pending trademark application for OpenOffice by Tightrope
>> Interactive so I am not sure that Apache OpenOffice would be acceptable
>> unless the pending application is turned down.
>
> Actually that trademark application is of deep concern to the community and
> it would be highly desirable for Apache to either ask Oracle to challenge it
> or to rapidly transfer the trademarks from Oracle and mount a challenge.

This would be one of the first tasks of the PPMC, if and when one gets
established.  The VP of Brand Management, one or more actual
attorneys, myself, and a number of others will assist.

> S.

- Sam Ruby

Re: OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jun 5, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> Hi I want to know if there is any formal clearance on the way OpenOffice.org
> ought to be reffered as.
>
> Since the adquisition of Sun by Oracle, they start re-inciting misquotations
> of OpenOffice.org as "OpenOffice" even later they modified StarOffice as
> "Oracle Open Office"
>
> As OpenOffice.org was transfered to Apache, the proposal is quoted as Apache
> OpenOffice. And now new mailing lists are generated as oo instead of ooo.
>
> I understand there could be missconception as the beginning but lacking to
> address these issues they could become more structural as time goes by (ie.
> wikipage is easy to change, a mailing list is not as easy).
>
> I would want some clarification on this topic so that the apache people
> could make a decision. Also for reasons regarding trademark is important to
> avoid legal issues as time goes by.

For reference, the OpenOffice trademark application can be found at http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85298190

Ralph

Re: OpenOffice or OpenOffice.org

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
At the current moment I'm not sure there is a strictly definitive
answer, given that Oracle technically still owns the trademark.  When we
have specific legal questions that need to be worked on, we can work
with Sam and the privately archived legal-internal@ mailing list.

Once the ASF has the trademark, and presuming the podling is voted into
the Incubator, then the podling should strive to ensure that it meets
the Apache Project Branding Requirements [1] on it's main website, which
will be required before it can graduate to a top level project (TLP).

Usage guidelines for Apache marks are covered in our formal Trademark
Policy [2] and associated documents.  Note that we may in the future
need additions to the policy, given that some of the ways that the
OpenOffice.org product is used may be different from most other Apache
projects.

Note that one requirement for Apache projects is to use the Apache name
as part of the primary project and product name.  I would imagine that
one of the tasks for the podling to decide upon is how best to update
it's branding to reflect both it's broad end user heritage as well as
reflecting it's future state as an Apache project.

As Sam noted elsewhere in this thread, we are aware of the "Open Office"
TM application here in the US and hope to be able to address that soon.

- Shane

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/