Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org> on 2018/12/05 08:48:18 UTC

Re: Translations update

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 11:21 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 27/11/2018 13:19, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > Yes, I agree: it's not possible for non english speakers to use Tomcat, so
> > it did seem pointless. Mark still wanted to do the experiment, and since
> > the tool was easy and I had some time I did that French stuff. Anyway it's
> > done now, and people are sometimes happy to get i18n, so...
>
> Congrats to everyone involved in completing the French translations and
> in expanding the language coverage generally. And a special
> congratulations / thank you to Rémy who contributed over 1700 (no, that
> is not a typo!) translations.

Congrats! I personally celebrated myself for passing the 25% point of
the course in Korean translation today. :-)
Indeed I feel like running a marathon. Some finished; some ahead; some
behind. Well, we will get there anyway! :-D

> I do think this experiment has been worthwhile. Yes, there are some
> users who prefer English to their native language but there are also
> some users who find the translations helpful. The good thing is that it
> is easy to set Tomcat up to work either way.
>
> I wonder. Is there any value in any of the following:
>
> - The ability to change the language Tomcat uses while Tomcat is
> running? I'm thinking an option exposed via JMX and the Manager app.

Sounds interesting. If feasible with minimal effort, why not?

> - The ability to 'translate' messages. I'm thinking something that takes
> a message in one language, searches through the l10n strings to find a
> match and then provides the same message in an alternative language.
> Finding an efficient way to do this could be interesting.

Yes. Suppose someone reports a problem with some translated message.
We will need to easily figure out what's the corresponding default
local message from it.
It would be great if POEditor supports that.

Woonsan