Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/12/29 17:01:56 UTC

[VOTE] Close down the Lucene.NET project, effective January 31, 2011

Background: Please see the December Lucene Board report, amongst others, for description and multiple mailing list threads (both here and on Lucene.NET) on the background of this vote.   This move has been a long time in the making with many discussions on it.

Resolution:
Whereas the Lucene.NET project has stagnated due to lack of committer activity and,
Whereas the Lucene PMC is no longer interested in maintaining the community due to lack of interest in working on the .NET platform by PMC Members and
Whereas conditions set forth by the PMC in October for continuance as Lucene sub-project have not been met by the project
Therefore, be it resolved that the Lucene PMC shut down the Lucene.NET community, effective January 31, 2011.

Vote:
[] +1 - Shut it down
[] 0 - Don't care
[] -1 - Do not shut it down

A positive vote result means we will shut down SVN access, put a notice on the website and send one to the mailing lists as well as close down any other resources.

PMC votes are binding and a majority of +1's are all that is needed (i.e. no vetoes).   Due to the Holidays here in the US, this vote will be open for 5 days.

Note, a positive vote does not mean that this project cannot go back to the Incubator or that it must die completely, it just means that the Lucene PMC is discharging it's responsibility for the project by shutting down the resources it is responsible for and removing commit access.

Grant Ingersoll
Lucene PMC Chair

Re: [VOTE] Close down the Lucene.NET project, effective January 31, 2011

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 12/29/10 5:01 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Background: Please see the December Lucene Board report, amongst others, for description and multiple mailing list threads (both here and on Lucene.NET) on the background of this vote.   This move has been a long time in the making with many discussions on it.
>
> Resolution:
> Whereas the Lucene.NET project has stagnated due to lack of committer activity and,
> Whereas the Lucene PMC is no longer interested in maintaining the community due to lack of interest in working on the .NET platform by PMC Members and
> Whereas conditions set forth by the PMC in October for continuance as Lucene sub-project have not been met by the project
> Therefore, be it resolved that the Lucene PMC shut down the Lucene.NET community, effective January 31, 2011.
>
> Vote:

+1.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: [VOTE] Close down the Lucene.NET project, effective January 31, 2011

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 29, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2010, at 11:01 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>> Resolution:
>> Whereas the Lucene.NET project has stagnated due to lack of committer activity and,
>> Whereas the Lucene PMC is no longer interested in maintaining the community due to lack of interest in working on the .NET platform by PMC Members and
>> Whereas conditions set forth by the PMC in October for continuance as Lucene sub-project have not been met by the project
>> Therefore, be it resolved that the Lucene PMC shut down the Lucene.NET community, effective January 31, 2011.
>>
>> Vote:
>> [] +1 - Shut it down
>
> And my vote: +1

+1

Re: [VOTE] Close down the Lucene.NET project, effective January 31, 2011

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Dec 29, 2010, at 11:01 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Resolution:
> Whereas the Lucene.NET project has stagnated due to lack of committer activity and,
> Whereas the Lucene PMC is no longer interested in maintaining the community due to lack of interest in working on the .NET platform by PMC Members and
> Whereas conditions set forth by the PMC in October for continuance as Lucene sub-project have not been met by the project
> Therefore, be it resolved that the Lucene PMC shut down the Lucene.NET community, effective January 31, 2011.
>
> Vote:
> [] +1 - Shut it down

And my vote: +1

Re: [VOTE] Close down the Lucene.NET project, effective January 31, 2011

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
+1

--
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen

Re: [VOTE] Close down the Lucene.NET project, effective January 31, 2011

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
As a formality, this vote has passed.  I am glad to see that the .NET community has stepped up.

-Grant

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Awesome is where we start... ;)

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Close down the Lucene.NET project, effective January 31, 2011

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
My vote is -1 to the current resolution, because it lacks a plan for
continuity for the userbase. It seems that although development has
stagnated, there is actually a reasonably active user list, and this
resolution doesn't describe what will happen to them.

If we are saying that the project will move to the Attic, then I am +1.

I see this was discussed on a previous thread (unsure if a subproject
belongs in the attic), yet:
* I see several Jakarta subprojects listed on the attic homepage
(http://attic.apache.org/), but obviously the Jakarta top level
project is alive.
* I don't know much of the details of how the Attic operates, but it
says on its webpage that it "Provide oversight for active user lists
with no Project Management Committee (PMC)"

So, this is what I would like to see happen, rather than leave the
user list high and dry.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
+1 - Shut it down.

-----

Sadly I feel guilty of encouraging Lucene.NET to set up shop under the Lucene PMC, but without helping or even really caring about it (other than at the time being for everything "Lucene" under this umbrella).  I've never been a .NET programmer (my past in ASP/MSVC++ predates .NET).  So, along with my vote I apologize for not mentoring Lucene.NET as it should have been.  It seems there's a lot of energy behind Lucene on the .NET platform though, so I'm confident that it'll survive and thrive in an environment where it most fits.

	Erik