Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2013/05/03 02:58:23 UTC

Re: Introduce Myself

erica g wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Just joined up as a volunteer.
>
> A bit about me: former QA tester for three years and now starting up as a
> technical writer.
>
> I want to help out with documentation but not sure if there's anything in
> particular I should be focused on.For a start I just looked in the wiki for
> pages marked as needing help/editing and started into editing those pages.
>
> Is there anything more pressing I should be working on? Or any other advice
> to bestow upon me?
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> -E

Hell-o Erica;

Welcome to Apache OpenOffice and the documentation team. If you haven't
already looked at it
<http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html> is a good
place to start.

Updating those older pages is always a help. The draft for the 4.0 user
guide is growing here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide (there is a link
to the "status page" at the end). There are several missing pages and
holes on the existing ones, but an easy start would be to proofread the
existing pages and check the information for "accuracy". Note that this
guide is aimed to AOO 4.0, so there are instructions on the guide that
do not completely correspond to the stable builds (like "menu Tools →
Options → Apache OpenOffice": on 3.4.1 you'll find "OpenOffice.org"
there). There is a status page at
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Status that we
use to track what has been done.

If you have any questions please drop a line here and we will get back
to you with an answer.

Regards
Keith

Re: Introduce Myself

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
erica g wrote:
> Thank you, Keith. I do have a question about AOO 4.0 -- is there is a place
> I can download the current build? I searched around but wasn't able to find
> it. I would like to use that build to check the current documentation for
> accuracy as you suggest.
>
> Also I was thinking about working on some of the pages for Draw, as it
> seems there are a few there that need authoring. At any rate, using 4.0
> would be better if I'm writing for that build.
>
> Regards,
> Erica

Hi Erica;

I see that Edwin already sent you the link to the latest snapshot build
of 4.0. Be aware that these builds are done with full integration so
that they can delete an older stable version. There is a check box in
the installer that lets you delete older versions that is checked by
default. If you want to keep a stable older version along with the
development 4.0 you should clear that box.

Feel free to work on the Draw sections or any others that you feel
comfortable with.

Regards
Keith

Re: Introduce Myself