Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Daniel Fitzgerald <fk...@ncf.ca> on 2007/07/06 05:53:42 UTC

Is the derby project still active?

It has been quite a while since any new builds or enhancements have been
done on this software. Is this project dead or in stasis? It has it's
niche i.e. small footprint and can be packaged with your jars ( albeit
cumbersome). I read a white-paper a while ago about performance but the
problems didn't seem insurmountable and indeed, it alluded to possible
solutions.

Anyway, I downloaded it and tried it out; it seemed fine as an
application data repository (in SQL) so I hope the project doesn't die
on the vine. It doesn't seem like it even got a chance to get out into
the public at large for a proper trial. Just my thoughts. Thank you.

Re: Is the derby project still active?

Posted by Damian C <ja...@gmail.com>.
Daniel,

10.3 is in beta testing now.
(see http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease )
I think it is due for release on July 17.

-Damian

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
Daniel Fitzgerald <fk...@ncf.ca> writes:

> It has been quite a while since any new builds or enhancements have
> been done on this software.

Excuse me. Since when is six months "quite a while"? Even for open
source projects?

> Is this project dead or in stasis?

The 892 unread emails in my derby-dev folder says no...

> It has it's niche i.e. small footprint and can be packaged with your
> jars ( albeit cumbersome).

Feel free to suggest a better way of doing it :)

> I read a white-paper a while ago about performance
> but the problems didn't seem insurmountable and indeed, it alluded to
> possible solutions.
>
> Anyway, I downloaded it and tried it out; it seemed fine as an
> application data repository (in SQL) so I hope the project doesn't die
> on the vine.

Don't think you need to worry.

> It doesn't seem like it even got a chance to get out into
> the public at large for a proper trial. Just my thoughts. Thank you.

Eh... maybe you have not heard that JavaDB (aka Derby) is bundled with JDK 1.6?

--
dt

Re: Is the derby project still active?

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 7/5/07, Daniel Fitzgerald <fk...@ncf.ca> wrote:
> It has been quite a while since any new builds or enhancements have been
> done on this software. Is this project dead or in stasis? It has it's
> niche i.e. small footprint and can be packaged with your jars ( albeit
> cumbersome). I read a white-paper a while ago about performance but the
> problems didn't seem insurmountable and indeed, it alluded to possible
> solutions.
>
> Anyway, I downloaded it and tried it out; it seemed fine as an
> application data repository (in SQL) so I hope the project doesn't die
> on the vine. It doesn't seem like it even got a chance to get out into
> the public at large for a proper trial. Just my thoughts. Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Derby! We're working on the 10.3
release, the goal is in roughly two weeks...
Check out the 10.3 release wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease

Feel free to test out the beta version and report your findings...
Also, check out the usage of derby page for a free form list of
groups/products that claim to use derby:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby

Regards,
Myrna van Lunteren