Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Juan Alvarado (Struts List)" <ju...@manduca.com> on 2002/08/23 23:11:24 UTC

MessageResources in standalone app

Is there any way to use the functionality of replacement in message
resources outside of the struts environment.

I find the replace capabilities very useful in other apps and was wondering
if anyone knew how to accomplish this.

Thanks

Juan Alvarado
Internet Developer -- Manduca Management
(786)552-0504
jalvarado@manduca.com
AOL Instant Messenger: juan2000@aol.com

RE: MessageResources in standalone app

Posted by "Todd G. Nist" <tn...@bellsouth.net>.
Juan,

Use the java.text.MessageFormat class.  Below is a simple example, currently
it will print "Current Page: 123" if you add {1} then you will get "Current
Page: 123 of 789".  Arguments are 0 based.

Regards,

Todd G. Nist

import java.text.MessageFormat;

public class MessageUtil {

    public MessageUtil() {
    }

    public static void main (String argv[]) {

        Object[] args = new Object[2];

        args[0] = (Object)"123";
        args[1] = (Object)"of 789";

        MessageFormat mf = new MessageFormat("Current Page: {0} ");

        String result = mf.format(args);

        System.out.println(result);
    }
}

Is there any way to use the functionality of replacement in message
resources outside of the struts environment.

I find the replace capabilities very useful in other apps and was wondering
if anyone knew how to accomplish this.

Thanks

Juan Alvarado
Internet Developer -- Manduca Management
(786)552-0504
jalvarado@manduca.com
AOL Instant Messenger: juan2000@aol.com

For additional commands, e-mail: