Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Jerome Lacoste @ BBC" <la...@altern.org> on 2003/02/19 12:30:03 UTC

multiple aliases redirections don't work?

 From the administrative command line

 > telnet localhost 4555
adduser user1 user1
adduser user2 user2
adduser user3 user3
setalias user1 user2
setalias user2 user3
quit
 > echo "test" | mail -v user3 -s "test mulitple aliases"

mail sent to user3 does not get sent to user1 as I would have expected
but to user2.
Is that a bug or a feature? I could find no bug with alias in its
summary in the bug DB.

Cheers,

Jerome

RE: multiple aliases redirections don't work?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> setalias user1 user2
> setalias user2 user3

> mail sent to user3 does not get sent to user1 as I
> would have expected but to user2.

The code is not iterative.  Whether or not it should be is a policy matter.
And don't forget that there are both aliases and forwarding addresses.  FYI,
the latter take precedence.

	--- Noel