Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by ao...@bellsouth.net on 2003/10/30 22:35:31 UTC

Heavy lifting

Folks,

I figured that I can start doing the heavy code lifting in a temporary CVS branch (to be thrown away afterwords) once my account is setup.  That way I can make the changes gradually over time without sacrificing the HEAD.  With this approach I can test things out and request a review of the code changes once I have completed the work before a merge into the trunk.  Is this a good strategy for you guys?  Thoughts anyone?

The branch life should not be that long: on the order of a week.  The work entails moving a few classes around to accommodate the minimal kernel bootstrapper jar and retrofitting the KernelConfig based Loader for various Kernel usage scenarios.  The work is based on the email trails over the past 36 hours on Kernel configuration parameter standardization.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Heavy lifting

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>> aok123@bellsouth.net wrote:
>>> I figured that I can start doing the heavy code lifting in a
>>> temporary CVS branch (to be thrown away afterwords) once my account
>>> is setup.
>>
>> branching is a good idea for a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, some
>> people around here use crappy CVS clients and/or do not quite have all
>> the required CVS skills to work with them. So if you do, make sure to
>> supply usage instructions :D
>
> *ouch*

hehehe :D

its not just you, dude ;). I need to look up the command reference
everytime I use a branch....

- LSD

Re: Heavy lifting

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> aok123@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>> I figured that I can start doing the heavy code lifting in a
>> temporary CVS branch (to be thrown away afterwords) once my account
>> is setup.
>

> branching is a good idea for a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, some
> people around here use crappy CVS clients and/or do not quite have all
> the required CVS skills to work with them. So if you do, make sure to
> supply usage instructions :D

*ouch*

;-)

> - Leo

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Heavy lifting

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Re: Heavy lifting

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

aok123@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I figured that I can start doing the heavy code lifting in a temporary CVS branch (to be thrown away afterwords) once my account is setup.  That way I can make the changes gradually over time without sacrificing the HEAD.  With this approach I can test things out and request a review of the code changes once I have completed the work before a merge into the trunk.  Is this a good strategy for you guys?  Thoughts anyone?
>
>The branch life should not be that long: on the order of a week.  The work entails moving a few classes around to accommodate the minimal kernel bootstrapper jar and retrofitting the KernelConfig based Loader for various Kernel usage scenarios.  The work is based on the email trails over the past 36 hours on Kernel configuration parameter standardization.

Go for it!
Steve.