Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org> on 2011/02/04 20:22:55 UTC

Draft board report for February 2011

Hi All

Could you please review and update the board report for February where
I've missed anything

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/BoardReportDraft

We also need to update our web site to conform with
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#websites and report the
status of this task to the board. I plan to start the site update over
this weekend

thanks
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: Draft board report for February 2011

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Sebb
>> I'll try raising the issue.
> Done.
Thanks! I wonder why no other project noted it before.. maybe the image
could be ApacheCon 2011 etc without the dates - until that gets finalized

>> I could not find a link to the ASF Licence page anywhere.
>>
>> I think it should be added under Overview or Documentation on the main
>> page, and similarly on sub-pages.
> I see you have already added the licence link.
Yeah, sorry.. I did add a few more updates too as per the requirements,
but did not update the site yet. Once we find a solution for the footer,
I guess Oleg could update everything

thanks
asankha

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 February 2011 13:00, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 February 2011 11:45, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 February 2011 09:24, Asankha C. Perera <as...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Oleg

>>> The following tasks are pending, and I would appreciate if you could look
>>> into them:
>>>
>>> 1. Update site footer (I couldn't find how this could be done)
>>>    - Trademark Attributions
>>>        - Add page footer with trademark attribution: Apache HttpComponents,
>>> Commons HttpClient, Apache, the Apache feather logo, and the Apache
>>> HttpComponents project logo are trademarks of The Apache Software
>>> Foundation.
>>>        - Add to footer: All other marks mentioned may be trademarks or
>>> registered trademarks of their respective owners.
>>>
>>> 2. Check Project Metadata - DOAP file is in order
>>>

>>> I also came across these other questions, and wanted to ask others for
>>> views:
>>>
>>> 1. The ApacheCon 2010 link needs to be updated and it seems to come from
>>> http://www.apache.org/events/current-event-125x125.png. Should we inform
>>> Infra - but I guess it affects many other projects too?
>>
>> I can do that - and would already have done so - but I don't think
>> there is a more recent graphic we can use.
>
> There's another issue with the ApacheCon logo - it does not act as a link.
>
> It would be better if it worked more like the Maven logo at the bottom
> - in fact as it is ASF-wide it perhaps belongs under the ASF heading
> anyway.
>
> I might have time to experiment later.

Turns out to be easy because multiple logos are allowed.
Just add the following to the end of site.xml:

  <poweredBy>
    <logo name="ApacheCon"
href="http://www.apache.org/events/current-event.html"
          img="http://www.apache.org/events/current-event-125x125.png"/>
    <logo name="Maven" href="http://maven.apache.org/"
          img="http://maven.apache.org/images/logos/maven-feather.png"/>
  </poweredBy>

Now I've just got to find how to remove the background image at the
top of the menu - I expect that is part of CSS somewhere.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 February 2011 10:56, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 03:36 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 6 February 2011 17:06, Asankha C. Perera <as...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi Oleg

>> > It seems awfully complex to add a footer - looking at how Maven folks
>> > themselves did it [1] :) .. not sure if there would be an easier shortcut?
>>
>> I suppose we could cheat and create the text as an image, which we
>> could use as a background for the footer (by updating the CSS).
>> However it would not resize.
>>

> I can't think of any better solution. I suggest we go for the cheat.

OK, I'll try it out shortly.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Oleg

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 14:54 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi Oleg
> >> We also need to update our web site to conform with http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#websites and report the status of this task to the board. I plan to start the site update over this weekend
> > Please let me know if you need help with that.
> The following tasks are pending, and I would appreciate if you could
> look into them:
>
> 1. Update site footer (I couldn't find how this could be done)
>      - Trademark Attributions
>          - Add page footer with trademark attribution: Apache
> HttpComponents, Commons HttpClient, Apache, the Apache feather logo, and
> the Apache HttpComponents project logo are trademarks of The Apache
> Software Foundation.
>          - Add to footer: All other marks mentioned may be trademarks or
> registered trademarks of their respective owners.

I think we need to tweak project's site.xml file. I can look into it.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-site.html

> 2. Check Project Metadata - DOAP file is in order

I update DOAP files on a regular basis when cutting a new release. They
should be all right. Could you please double-check, though?

> I also came across these other questions, and wanted to ask others for
> views:
>
> 1. The ApacheCon 2010 link needs to be updated and it seems to come from
> http://www.apache.org/events/current-event-125x125.png. Should we inform
> Infra - but I guess it affects many other projects too?

I guess this should affect each and every project. You might still want
to let infra know.

> 2. Is http://projects.apache.org/projects/httpcomponents_core.html
> supposed to update automatically? If so what needs to be done (is it
> picked up from DOAP?)

There is a wiki document that describes the process of generating web
site content. The sources of the web site content are usually located in
the <module_home>/src/site folder.

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/WebSite

> 3. Do we need to thank any third parties for any software licenses
> granted to our project (JProfiler, IntelliJ etc) ? I'm not aware of any,
> but just checking

We use Clover to generate test coverage reports. The clover license has
been granted to the whole foundation, though, and not specifically to HC
project. I am not sure if we need to mention that fact on the web
site.

> 4. Do we need to give attribution to any other organization's
> trademarks, or do anything special about the legacy "Commons HttpClient"
> project and possibly any trademark etc related to it?

None I know of.

Oleg

Re: Draft board report for February 2011

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Oleg

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 February 2011 09:08, Asankha C. Perera <as...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian
>
> Can you let me know if I could state that we are in full compliance and
> submit the report to the board? By the time the board meets (16th at 10am
> PST) I am confident the site can definitely be up and ready :)

AFAIK, we are now in compliance.

Should see the site in a few hours - or immediately if you use the
proxy minotaur-2.apache.org:80

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 00:52 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Could you please review and update the board report for February where
> I've missed anything
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/BoardReportDraft

Looks good.

Re: Draft board report for May 2011

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 21:22 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Could you please review and update the board report for May if I've
> missed anything
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/BoardReportDraft
>
> thanks
> asankha

Looks good to me

+1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 May 2011 16:52, Asankha C. Perera <as...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Could you please review and update the board report for May if I've missed
> anything
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/BoardReportDraft
>
> thanks

+1, thanks to you!

Re: Draft board report for November 2011

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 07:37:15PM +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi Jon
>> Thanks for putting this together, Asankha, and for doing it each month. :)
>> Do you think we could do a brief summary of the past month in terms of features or activities? Something like:
>>
>> * "User community has been interested in<top major topic area>"
>> * "Dev community has been working on<X>"
>>
>> It's not necessary, but might provide a little flavor for the board report. For example, I thought the recent request to figure out how to get the caching module working on Android was notable (and a good idea).
> This is certainly a good idea!.. however I must admit that unfortunately
> I was not following the detailed discussions in the past weeks due to
> other activities.
>
> The board report we present every few months is supposed to be a group
> activity, and thus the reason I update the Wiki and post an email before
> the deadline to collect any updates from anyone else on the dev list, as
> sometimes I may forget important things etc.
>
> Please feel free to update the report anytime as suggested above etc..
> Items are best presented as a short summary / bullet points. I would
> then base the final report from the Wiki about 3 days before the
> deadline (i.e. around the 13th Nov this time)
>
> cheers
> asankha

Jon, do not be shy and simply go and add stuff that you deem worth mentioning to the board. The report is free for everyone to contribute to.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: Draft board report for November 2011

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Jon

Re: Draft board report for August 2011

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.