Posted to log4php-user@logging.apache.org by Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com> on 2011/08/16 15:26:05 UTC

Multiple servers writing to the same file

If I were to have a NAS and mount a folder on 2 different servers to a
folder on the NAS could I use log4php to write to the same file from
both servers?

The goal is to have 1 log file from 2 servers in a load balanced array.

_______________

Michael F. Sole
msole@gold-mobile.com

Office: 732.632.8801, ext. 261
Mobile: 516.592.3683

Fax: 732.632.3599

Gold Mobile
www.gold-mobile.com <http://www.gold-mobile.com/>

Mobile Health Tech Group
www.mobilehealthtech.md <http://www.mobilehealthtech.md/>

This e-mail and any files transmitted are intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, and for the use of
Gold Mobile.  Any other use is strictly prohibited.

Re: Multiple servers writing to the same file

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
If you're looking at the quickstart page on the log4php web site [1] then
there's a mistake in the example.

The 4th line of the XML configuration says:
<param name="file" value="myLog.log">

But it should be:
<param name="file" value="myLog.log" />

Found that recently. We'll correct it soon. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ivan

[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4php/quickstart.html

On 16 August 2011 19:55, Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com> wrote:

> I am just working on the quick start, trying to get it implemented. I am
> used to using log4j but this is my first time with this package.****
>
> ** **
>
> I was able to get events logged to the apache log file now I am working on
> the second example and it should be creating a myLog.log file but nothing is
> happening and I see no errors in the logs.****
>
> ** **
>
> It’s probably something pretty basic, please help.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks****
>
> ** **

Office: 732.632.8801, ext. 261 <tel:732.632.8801%2C%20ext.%20261>

Posted by Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com>.
I tested on Ubuntu and it works straight away. Is there any PHP
configuration that would specifically prevent this from working?

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
Phew, that's sorted then. Magic quotes are evil, anyway. :)

Have fun with your project. And let us know if you have any other problems.

Regards,
Ivan

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com>.
The array is empty: array(0) { }

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com>.

Posted by Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com>.
I think you are working on a different version than I am. I downloaded
the latest version from the site today. Those line numbers are off.

Posted by Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com>.
Sorry my mistake, I was in the wrong file.

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Sole <ms...@gold-mobile.com>.