Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by sumit ghosh <su...@yahoo.com> on 2011/12/07 08:12:39 UTC

Installing HBase

Hi,

I was trying to run HBase in an environment where there is no bash. Will it stll work fine?

Thanks,
Sumit

Re: Installing HBase

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
A lack of 'bash' specifically (meaning, you are still using another shell?) may be OK, you'd lose out on using some shipped scripts to start and stop clusters. But if you are running on non-*nix platforms, there could be issues in running HDFS.

Re: Installing HBase

Posted by Mikhail Bautin <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sumit,

"#!/usr/bin/env bash" will search for bash on the configured PATH, while
#!/usr/bin/bash assumes that the bash binary is in /usr/bin. In any way,
bash should probably run fine on AIX, even if you have to compile it from
sources. I suggest that you install bash into /bin/bash or /usr/bin/bash,
though.

Thanks,
--Mikhail

Re: Installing HBase