Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Michael D. Crawford" <cr...@goingware.com> on 2002/01/19 02:36:30 UTC

Resources for improving your C++

In light of Xerces Rule's difficulties with namespaces and standard
template library strings, I'd like to point out a couple of resources
that will be of tremendous benefit to anybody who would like to improve
their C++.

The Neo-Programmer's Collective is a group mostly consisting of
inexperienced BeOS programmers who have been working together to teach
themselves C++ (the BeOS native API is in C++).  They have a website
with a lot of resources for C++ education on it, at:

http://www.neo-programmers.com/

although just at the moment the website doesn't seem to be working.

The Association of C and C++ Users is devoted to the advancement of
languages that have curly braces in them (so they include Java and C#
too).  The accu-general mailing list is a very low-noise list with some
experts on programming all these languages that are very willing to
answer questions.  Also, the new accu-mentored-developers list is
specifically meant as a training ground for inexperienced programmers to
help them sharpen their skills.  There are some experience programmers
on the list to help out.

http://www.accu.org/

One of the most valuable resources the ACCU provides is their technical
book reviews, published in their print magazine and reproduced on their
website.  I strongly advise checking the ACCU reviews before buying any
programming book, I think the ACCU reviews are the best informed and
least biased information available to help you invest in your technical
skills through book purchases:

http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm

also the Usenet newsgroups comp.programming and comp.lang.c++.moderated
are very valuable.  If your ISP doesn't provide a Usenet news server,
you can read it on the web, as well as search old articles, at
http://groups.google.com - for example, to read comp.lang.c++.moderated,
go to

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B.moderated

Best,