Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Matt Farmer <ma...@frmr.me> on 2017/11/28 21:40:22 UTC

Managing broker rolls?

Hey all,

So, I'm curious to hear how others have solved this problem.

We've got quite a few brokers and rolling all of them to pick up new
configuration (which consists of triggering a clean shutdown, then
restarting the service and waiting for replication to catch up before
moving on) ultimately takes an entire day to do as a human. This is a
process I would like to automate.

Things that I have looked at include:

(1) Using a bot that can talk to the Kafka admin API - but there's
currently no Admin API call to trigger a clean shutdown of a broker (would
folks be interested in this?)

(2) Using a giant shell script that speaks admin API and can detect ISR
catch-up — but this either requires a developer's machine to stay connected
during the entire process (not a guarantee) or requires us to give some
shared resource SSH permissions across all our servers (not ideal)

What are others doing?

Would folks be interested in an AdminClient call that triggers a graceful
shutdown on a Broker? I could write up a KIP for this if so.

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Managing broker rolls?

Posted by Matt Farmer <ma...@frmr.me>.
Bump, still haven't seen anything here. Betting this problem isn't unique
to us. Would love to hear how other folks are managing controlled restarts
of their clusters. =)