Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Gisbert Amm <gi...@webde-ag.de> on 2005/02/15 16:34:01 UTC

Maven-Clover-Plugin: License is not downloaded from local Maven repo

Hello,

I first want to thank you for your excellent work; I've just installed
the recently announced new version 1.7 of the Maven-Clover-Plugin and it
works great.

However, I've got one question:

Until know, our Clover license (yes, we've bought one) was lying beside
the clover.jar in the local Maven repo on the build machine. Today
someone deleted this directory for debugging purposes (since it contains
only copies from the lokal http repo anyway) and our builds failed
immediately because Clover didn't find it's license anymore.

To avoid such accidents for the future I've put the licencse into our
local Maven http repo in a folder named "licences" within the clover
folder. I thought, it then should be downloaded and used together with
the jar out of the accompanying "jars" directory. For me that behaviour
would have been very intuitive.

As you know, it didn't. When I then read the documentation I found out
about the maven.clover.license.path parameter or the classpath (I use
the param now) but still wonder why my tacit understanding to put the
licence in a license folder of the local Maven http repo shall not work.

Another (small) point: I've noticed that - even when I've set the
maven.clover.license.path parameter and the respective license is used
by Clover - still the clover-license-20060130.license file from ibiblio
is downloaded. It's only 5k - but completely unnecessary.

I think it should not be a dependency in the project.xml of the
maven-clover plugin but rather the default entry for
maven.clover.license.path in the plugin.properties. Probably the license
  had to be distributed with the plugin then what I'd consider an advantage.

Thanks for your patience.
Gisbert

RE: Maven-Clover-Plugin: License is not downloaded from local Maven repo

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Gisbert,

Cool.

> However, I've got one question:
>
> Until know, our Clover license (yes, we've bought one) was lying beside
> the clover.jar in the local Maven repo on the build machine. Today
> someone deleted this directory for debugging purposes (since it contains
> only copies from the lokal http repo anyway) and our builds failed
> immediately because Clover didn't find it's license anymore.
>
> To avoid such accidents for the future I've put the licencse into our
> local Maven http repo in a folder named "licences" within the clover
> folder. I thought, it then should be downloaded and used together with
> the jar out of the accompanying "jars" directory. For me that behaviour
> would have been very intuitive.
>
> As you know, it didn't. When I then read the documentation I found out
> about the maven.clover.license.path parameter or the classpath (I use
> the param now) but still wonder why my tacit understanding to put the
> licence in a license folder of the local Maven http repo shall not work.

If you wish to use the remote repository it is still possible (I could a FAQ
for this) by doing the following:
- add the license as a dependency in your project.xml
- use maven.clover.license.path =
${pom.getDependencyPath('clover:yourlicensename')

> Another (small) point: I've noticed that - even when I've set the
> maven.clover.license.path parameter and the respective license is used
> by Clover - still the clover-license-20060130.license file from ibiblio
> is downloaded. It's only 5k - but completely unnecessary.

Yep, but there's not much I can do about this... Maven currently does not
support dynamic dependencies.

> I think it should not be a dependency in the project.xml of the
> maven-clover plugin but rather the default entry for
> maven.clover.license.path in the plugin.properties. Probably the license
>   had to be distributed with the plugin then what I'd consider an
> advantage.

Yeah but then who performs the download of the license? ATM this done by the
Maven dependency manager. If we do this (and this may be possible but I'm
not sure it's worth it) we'll need to hook in the Maven API (like using
HttpUtils but I'm not sure it's a public API).

Thanks
-Vincent