Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Keven Ages <ke...@fourthwallmedia.com> on 2006/05/30 18:11:38 UTC

Possible Lenya bug

I just noticed while creating a new template in Lenya that for some odd
reason div tags that have no content in them are ended (I'd imagine by
the XSLT processor).

For example

Is changed to:

If I put content inside the div it doesn't end it.  This is a major
problem if you are using a lot of background images or container divs.

Keven Ages

Re: Possible Lenya bug

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Keven Ages wrote:
> I just noticed while creating a new template in Lenya that for some odd
> reason div tags that have no content in them are ended (I’d imagine by
> the XSLT processor).
>

> For example

> Is changed to:

> If I put content inside the div it doesn’t end it.  This is a major
> problem if you are using a lot of background images or container divs.

is definitely correct behaviour. the bug is in browsers, for example
mozilla gets all f%$§ed up when it encounters empty tags like <a
name="doh"/>.

for these browser bugs, there is the workaround that michael suggested.
if you want to have a layout-neutral filler, you can use the zero-width
space from unicode, which iirc is &#x202b;. i don't know how older
browsers deal with this one, though.

hth,

jörn

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Re: Possible Lenya bug

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Keven Ages wrote:

> I just noticed while creating a new template in Lenya that for some
> odd reason div tags that have no content in them are ended (I’d
> imagine by the XSLT processor).
>
> For example

> Is changed to:

> If I put content inside the div it doesn’t end it. This is a major
> problem if you are using a lot of background images or container divs.

agreed. It's not a bug but rather a feature of Cocoon, but yes, a
feature which can be annonying.

As Victoria is saying, one can put in a #160; (nbsp), but this isn't
always a good workaround.

IIRC another possibility is that one can actually configure within the
serializer, but I am not sure anymore.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner