Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/10 20:05:31 UTC

Is this a long GC pause, or something else?

Last night a regionserver in my cluster stopped responding in a timely
manner for about 20 minutes. I know that stop-the-world GC can cause this
type of behavior, but 20 minutes seems excessive.

The server is a 2 core VM with 16GB of RAM, (hbase max heap is 12GB). We
are using the latest java 7 from oracle. HDFS is provided by an Isilon
cluster.

The server workload is read/write: the writing process reads all rows it is
about to write, updates them if they exist, and then writes all the rows
(replacing ones that were updated).

The last messages before the pause were regarding an HLog roll:

DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.LogRoller: HLog roll requested
INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FSUtils: FileSystem doesn't support
getDefaultReplication
INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FSUtils: FileSystem doesn't support
getDefaultBlockSize

During the next 20 minutes there were a handful of sporadic LruBlockCache
stats messages but nothing else. After 20 minutes, normal operation resumed.

Is 20 minutes for a GC pause expected given the operational load and
machine specs? Could a GC pause include periodic log messages? If it wasn't
a GC pause, what else could it be?

--Tom

Re: Is this a long GC pause, or something else?

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
I do not believe GC logging is enabled. I will look into that for the
future.

The cluster is 6 machines all with the same spec. I have not seen any
evidence that any other server in the cluster had any problems at the same
time. There are/were no dead nodes. The master did not seem to notice
anything during this time.

The issue was detected because requests to a particular RS would
consistently timeout during the 20 minutes in question.

--Tom

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Vladimir Rodionov <vrodionov@carrieriq.com
> wrote:

> 1. Do you have GC logging enabled on your cluster? It does not look like
> GC - pause to me but for future troubleshooting it is better
> to enable GC logging.
>
> 2. How large is your cluster? Did you check NN and DN logs as well? Are
> all your nodes (RS and DN) up and running? No dead nodes?
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Rodionov
> Principal Platform Engineer
> Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.

Re: Is this a long GC pause, or something else?

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Which release are you using ?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Aha.  Our pauses keep happening. :(

We use SPM - see http://sematext.com/spm/ - it has support for HBase and
Hadoop metrics, among other things.  As a matter of fact, for
troubleshooting an issue like this one you may also want to ship your logs
into Logsene <http://sematext.com/logsene/>.  Doing that will let you
correlate your pause with messages in the logs, which could help you figure
out what's going on next time something like this happens.

Otis

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
Otis,

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Here are some graphs:
JVM GC: https://apps.sematext.com/spm-reports/s/mYKcXNXBMl
JVM threads: https://apps.sematext.com/spm-reports/s/eJAVT8TUoB (so you can
see threads just "disappear" for blocks of time)

Meanwhile, the server's not dead - here's the CPU showing it's not dead and
it's not 100% idle OR 100% busy:
https://apps.sematext.com/spm-reports/s/Ess9S9JnYF

We just noticed this today when we switched from OpenJDK to Oracle VJM
update 60.
This is actually from a cluster running on R3 instances on EC2.

These lockups come and go, as you can see, and appear on all nodes in the
cluster, just not at the same time.

Otis

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Does it repeat?