Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/13 00:55:55 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3]

Dear all,

The Apache NetBeans community has voted on and approved a proposal to release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vc3].

We now kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this incubator release candidate.

Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) constitutes all but the enterprise cluster in the Apache NetBeans Git repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that provide the Java SE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of Apache NetBeans.

In short, Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) is a full IDE for Java SE and PHP, JavaScript development with some Groovy language support.

Build artifacts available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3

The specific artifact to be voted on:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-source.zip

Included in the above are the DEPENDENCIES, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, and NOTICE files, as well as a README file with build instructions, which are the same as these:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/release100/README.md

SHA1: 028b47ca10118e616208e4949fb79c2e38d74fd5

KEYS file:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 10.0-vc3 :

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/tree/10.0-vc3

Note: NetBeans license violation checks are managed via the rat-exclusions.txt file:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/release100/nbbuild/rat-exclusions.txt

Rat report shows no unknown licenses, except for license files:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-release/365/artifact/rat-release-temp/nbbuild/build/rat-report.txt

Included as a convenience binary, not relevant for the voting purposes (unzip it, run it and you'll see Apache NetBeans):

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc1-bin.zip

Release specific wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+10

How (and what) to try out the release:

1. Download the artifact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
3. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.
4. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the build process.
5. Run the NetBeans executable and (if you're running on JDK 8) you'll be prompted to install nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing terms, and (if you're running on JDK 9+), you'll be able to use javac directly from JDK 9 and, optionally, you'll be prompted to install nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing terms. As this is our first multi purpose (Java SE, PHP, JS, Groovy) release, some features has to be enabled in Tools > Plugins > Installed tab, or get's automatically enabled on first use of a feature.

If the above succeeds, i.e., Apache NetBeans installs and starts up vote +1 in this thread.

Please try out the package, using the instructions above, and vote!

This vote is open for 5 days.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating)
[ ] 0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Laszlo Kishalmi
on behalf on the Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3]

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
A few additions to the above:

1. Apache NetBeans vote thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8c33a85bad3631fe4fa3aebe9196942ab71baa1788b8ebc1256083de@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

2. Apache NetBeans PPMC result vote thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9cdf17a2e86bdba487cb8db0ca38c5d611f236c09e8b3ff49f6ca22a@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

One binding IPMC +1 vote, carried over to IPMC vote thread:

Mark Struberg

Non-binding +1 votes:

-- Josh Juneau
-- Eric Barboni
-- Junichi Yamamoto
-- Jaroslav Tulach
-- Laszlo Kishalmi
-- Geertjan Wielenga
-- Jens Hofschröer
-- Ricardo Pacheco
-- Ludovic Hochet

3. The link to the convenience binary should be as follows:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-bin.zip

4. A survey of over 100 Apache NetBeans community members on the
functioning of the convenience binary:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Results+from+Apache+NetBeans+IDE+10.0+Community+Acceptance+survey

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

-1 (binding)

I’ve not checked everything yet on this release but I as it contains compiled code I can’t vote +1.

I don’t think these are OK except perhaps the first one:

./platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
./platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/dummy-signed-twice.jar
./platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/dummy-signed.jar

And these are certainly not:
./platform/libs.junit4/external/junit-4.12.jar
./platform/libs.junit4/external/hamcrest-core-1.3.jar
./platform/netbinox/external/org.eclipse.osgi_3.9.1.v20140110-1610.jar
./platform/libs.osgi/external/osgi.cmpn-4.2.jar
./platform/javahelp/external/jhall-2.0_05.jar

I notice a number of text files (mostly standards) under CDDL and EPL licenses, These are Category B and are not normally allowed in a source release. Has this been discussed somewhere?

I also notice some source files without ASF headers, for instance [1][2][3] and others

Thanks,
Justin

1. /java/java.editor/test/qa-functional/data/projects/Formatting/src/general/BlankLines.java
2. /ide/diff/test/unit/data/patch/testFileCopyRename/NewClass.java
3. java/java.editor/test/qa-functional/data/projects/Formatting/src/general/ReduceBlankLines.java

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3]

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Thanks, Laszlo.

sha256 checksum checked to be correct.

Hereby reconfirming my previous +1 (binding)

Regards,
Ate

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:43:08 +0100
> From: Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>
> To: Incubator General <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate
>     3]
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 1:56 AM Laszlo Kishalmi
> <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-source.zip
>
> +1 on the release of this archive:
>
> SHA1(incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-source.zip)=
> 6e04db6901ee44268faf87e90087e37b3c3ee871

   Per (infra) release distribution policy :

     https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums

   -- new releases MUST be accompanied by a SHA-256 and/or SHA-512
      checksum file
   -- new releases SHOULD NOT be accompanied by MD5 or SHA-1
      checksum file ;
   -- "new" == after 18 Aug 2018

   Regards,

   HPP

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

<la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-source.zip

+1 on the release of this archive:

SHA1(incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-source.zip)=
6e04db6901ee44268faf87e90087e37b3c3ee871

Signatures and digests match. I have not reviewed the convenience
binaries beyond checking that.

LICENSE NOTICE DISCLAIMER look good to me.

Build with "ant tryme" works and starts the IDE.

Notes that have no impact on my vote but would be worth looking at IMO:
1) DEPENDENCIES refers to FreeMarker, note that this project moved to
https://freemarker.apache.org/ since then, it might be worth
upgrading.

2) "ant rat" does not work as I expect - I removed the Apache license
header of ide/editor/src/org/netbeans/modules/editor/impl/StatusLineComponent.java
to test it, ran "ant rat" again and the build passes - I would expect
it to fail.

3) The signing key A145CB2D is not found at http://pgp.mit.edu for
example, it should be available on public servers. It is at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS
however which is good.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3]

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree, I didn't check the source release content.

Regards
JB

On 21/11/2018 11:06, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> By the way, I saw a couple of missing headers, but not blocker IMHO.
>
> I agree. But the jars / compiled code in a source release is a blocker for me, and should be IMO for anyone. ASF releases have to consist of source code.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.