Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Rick Walker <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/02 14:25:39 UTC

[GSoC2008] Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management

Hi,

I've been corresponding with Xiao-Feng off-list about this GSoC
proposal, and he suggested that it'd be useful to invite comments from
the wider Harmony community.

My proposal as it stands is at:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/RickWalker/GSoC2008/harmony-gc-3

and, in summary, proposes integrating GCSpy into Harmony for
visualization. I met last week with Richard Jones[1] (also at the
University of Kent) to discuss this, and, since he's mentoring a
similar project for Jikes, he's indicated that he'll be available for
support over the summer period.

Any comments or feedback to help improve my proposal would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Rick

[1] http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~rej

Re: [GSoC2008] Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management

Posted by Paty Lustosa <pa...@gmail.com>.
Xia-Feng,
I have already used TPTP testing project, to test some Eclipse plug-in's
that I developed. The others TPTP subprojects I have never used before.

Thanks,
Paty

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Rogers <ro...@gmail.com>.
Paty Lustosa wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Xiao-Feng told me that he didn't intend to use TuningFork due to unclear
> license. So I think that it's better for me to develop a GCSpy client as an
> Eclipse plug-in while you work in the integration of GCSpy with Harmony.
> What do you think about it, Xiao-Feng?
> Any comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrícia

Hi,

just to follow this up. Tuning fork has now been released under the
Eclipse Public License:

http://tuningforkvp.sourceforge.net/

There is a related Jikes RVM issue:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/RVM-507

Regards,
Ian

Posted by Paty Lustosa <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

Posted by Paty Lustosa <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

I also have been corresponding with Xiao-Feng about this project and I also
proposed to it (Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management).
Xiao told me to discuss the proposal with you to see if we can come up with
two different proposals with enough substances. In my proposal, I present
two objectives:

1. GCspy integration
GCspy is a heap visualization framework that allows developers to observe
the behavior of the heap and related data structures. GCspy adopted a
client-server architecture. The system being visualized, Harmony, is the
server. In order to integrate GCspy with Harmony, I am going to write a
GCspy driver for each of its GC algorithms. A driver is a module that maps
the operation and layout of an algorithm onto the generic GCspy
abstractions. With this, Harmony will have its standalone visualization
tool.
2. Eclipse plug-in
There are two options to this part of the project. I could simplify GCspy
and modify it to be an Eclipse[3] plug-in. The second option is to rewrite
my own visualization tool. The decision is going to be made with the mentor
depending on the time available and the experience got in the first step.

What do you think? In your proposal, you considere the GCSpy integration
only or something else too?
Thanks,

Patrícia Lustosa

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.