Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2006/06/21 22:16:01 UTC

Vetoing/Voting in committers?

Mladen Turk wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure that a veto applies to whether we accept a podling or
>> not.  -- justin

Justin's point is that a release can't be vetoed, a policy can't be vetoed.

Code can be vetoed.

> So, if I happen to be a board member, then eventually I would
> have such an influence. As a member I should shout up, right?
> Remind me to run for the next board elections.

A board's -1 here, e.g. if Justin voted -1, has just as much weight as your -1.
Justin asks if it's a vetoable subject like code, or a concensus vote like new
policy or releasing a tarball.

That said, the original committee should be voting in new committers just like
other projects do, and those commit bits should be granted based on merit.

You can certainly include 'plays by the rules' and 'debates code not coders'
and other basic civilized parts of participating in a project, in the 'merit'.

And people in general shouldn't be discussed on this list.  If we have a person
problem, take it to the pmc.  Folks names shouldn't be trashed on this list or
any other public ASF list.  Praise in public, chastise in private and all that.

Last comment, we had the thought a long time ago about 'resetting' committers
at the end of incubation, forming an official PMC and then having that PMC
reassess the commit keys based on actual merit during incubation.  I don't
remember if that thread ever came to a conclusion.

Bill

Re: Vetoing/Voting in committers?

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 15:46 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
> > William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >>
> >> And people in general shouldn't be discussed on this list.
> >
> > Sorry about that. My bad :(.

Mine too; and as the originator of the thread in public my apologies to
Hani.

Sanjiva.

Re: Vetoing/Voting in committers?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>> Sorry about that. My bad :(.
>
> difference between a person, and a public personality - and the blog in
> question
> clearly shows that this style is deliberately his 'public personality'.

Agreed. Perhaps I simply do not understand all that blog stuff.
Anyhow, I doubt my wife would have any understanding if I start
blogging about her cooking expertize ;)

> But in general - yes problems with a person should be discussed on pmc.

Agreed again.
I'm a proud member of the Apache community, and would like
to feel like one in the future.

Nevertheless, any Apache committer that happens to get himself
stuck in Zagreb will be entitled for a free beer. Always :)

Cheers,
Mladen.

Re: Vetoing/Voting in committers?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> And people in general shouldn't be discussed on this list.
>
> Sorry about that. My bad :(.

Having read the blog myself, I can't really argue though that his 'approach'
isn't germaine to accepting a project he already commits to.  There's a subtle
difference between a person, and a public personality - and the blog in question
clearly shows that this style is deliberately his 'public personality'.

So treat the previous discussion the same as you would, "do we want Rush
Limbaugh as a contributor?"  Since he clearly wants to be perceived as the
harsh critic of open source, with similar vitriol for specific people as
opposed to projects, it's not unreasonable on this list to discuss if that
is welcome in a new incubation project.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> And people in general shouldn't be discussed on this list.

Sorry about that. My bad :(.

Regards,
Mladen.