Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org> on 2004/05/03 15:59:47 UTC

WebDAV Projector framework

Hi,
I've added the initial release of the projector framework to the
proposals section.
It is in a very early stage of development, so it might not be usable
for anyone else than me at the moment ;-)
I'll try to improve it in the next weeks so that it can become part of
the slide 2.1 release.
Projector is an event driven process engine that can be used to build
complex synchronous and asynchronous workflows.
The projector framework can also be used to build scalable web
applications. It talks to the repository via webdav.
A projector application can be deployed by simply dropping a folder
containing the application into the repository.
Main benefits in comparison to other frameworks are:
- complex asynchronous workflows with persistent state can be handled
- rendering of web pages in background in separate workflows triggered
by events. So if you drop some xml-file into slide, projector could
launch a process that renders all dependant web pages in background. If
a user visits the page, it is already there.
- easy web form handling. You just implement the very simple processor,
the web form is generated for you including error handling etc.
- handling of table and tree views (paging tables also included)
- easy database access
- contract based workflow design

I hope to get some documentation and a little sample application done.
Regards,
Daniel

Re: WebDAV Projector framework

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@c1-fse.de>.
BaTien Duong wrote:

> Daniel Florey wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've added the initial release of the projector framework to the
>> proposals section.
>> It is in a very early stage of development, so it might not be usable
>> for anyone else than me at the moment ;-)
>> I'll try to improve it in the next weeks so that it can become part
>> of the slide 2.1 release.
>> Projector is an event driven process engine that can be used to build
>> complex synchronous and asynchronous workflows.
>> The projector framework can also be used to build scalable web
>> applications. It talks to the repository via webdav.
>> A projector application can be deployed by simply dropping a folder
>> containing the application into the repository.
>> Main benefits in comparison to other frameworks are:
>> - complex asynchronous workflows with persistent state can be handled
>> - rendering of web pages in background in separate workflows
>> triggered by events. So if you drop some xml-file into slide,
>> projector could launch a process that renders all dependant web pages
>> in background. If a user visits the page, it is already there.
>> - easy web form handling. You just implement the very simple
>> processor, the web form is generated for you including error handling
>> etc.
>> - handling of table and tree views (paging tables also included)
>> - easy database access
>> - contract based workflow design
>>
>> I hope to get some documentation and a little sample application done.
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>>
> This makes Slide usefull and very interesting. Is there any one
> thinking of  a standard portlet interface to Slide so gradually a
> whole application can be assembled from functional compoents?

Hi,
the idea of projector is, that you can easily combine reusable modules.
You will simply drop the applications you need into the slide folder and
adapt the design in the way you like.
An eclipse plugin for process design is planned so that you can build
workflows easily. Workflows can also represent pageflows so that you
adopt the flow of your overall applcation.
Standard portlet support is not planned (yet).
Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Daniel Florey <da...@web.de>.
Hi,
thanks for the link. I'm looking at the mule right now, and it looks very
interesting.
Projector is more focussed on building webdav-repository-based
(web)applications. So my main goal is to provide a framework that helps to
make the difficult parts of webapps easier.
I will still need some time to finish it, but I can check in a very
rudimentary demo if you are interested to have a closer look on the work in
progress-
Regards,
Daniel

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.