Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/12 17:24:39 UTC

Possible Change in NMaven Directory Structure to Support IDEs

As part of the IDE integration, I have reached a point in needing to decide
whether to change the directory structure that NMaven requires; I would like
to solicit some feedback. Currently, we use directory conventions, such as
src/main/csharp, src/test/csharp, src/main/config.  Maintaining the existing
structure will be incompatible with other add-ins and functionality like
resource generation, etc. within SharpDevelop (SD) and VS. This means that
we would need to duplicate existing IDE functionality for both SD and VS,
which is a lot of work. On the minus side, VS endorses a number of worst
practices such as dumping its artifacts into the main directory (including
generated resources). So I am at the cross-roads of 1) supporting best
practices (from a build perspective); but limiting the functionality of the
IDE, which makes it harder on the developer; or 2) flattening out the
directory structure, allowing easy IDE integration; but again accepting
certain worst practices.

Personally, I am leaning - ever so slightly - toward (2) because I think
that without IDE integration, NMaven will be of less use to most MS
developers and that with option (2) we still leverage all the dependency
management and build lifecycle, which are the most important parts. (1) is
still possible, its just the level of effort, and maintenance, is much
higher.

Shane

Re: Possible Change in NMaven Directory Structure to Support IDEs

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Just some updates. I have been investigating SharpDevelop and it looks as
though a simple patch would provide a way to support the NMaven directory
structure within the IDE.  I am also impressed with the add-in framework
for modifying the SD IDE: it looks very easy.

Shane

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
This makes sense: it needn't be an either-or-situation. I'll expand out
support for fully configuring the testSourceDirectory and the
sourceDirectory parameters (there are a few hard-coded places where this
will break). Also the resgen plugin will need some work to support alternate
resource directories, as well as making the project generators configurable.
These changes need to occur anyway.

Shane

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.