Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by James liu <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/18 14:22:11 UTC

about sortMissingLast and sortMissingFirst

i look expression about them in schema.xml.

but i m not clear.

My
understand: if sortMissingLast is true do last in descending sort. for example:
  field name : pname,  if sortMissingLast is true, pname will be sorted desc
and we can't find result with pname, only other field information.

am i wrong?

--
regards
jl

Re: about sortMissingLast and sortMissingFirst

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: My
: understand: if sortMissingLast is true do last in descending sort. for example:
:   field name : pname,  if sortMissingLast is true, pname will be sorted desc
: and we can't find result with pname, only other field information.

sortMissingLast is used to determine how you want documents that don't
have a value to appear -- if sortMissingLast=true then it doesn't matter
whether you sort "asc" or "desc", documents that don't have a value for
that field will allways come last.  if sortMissingLast="false" then the
default Lucene sort behavior is used in which "missing" values are sorted
the same as empty strings -- it is the "lowest" possible value, so they
come first in asc sorts.

-Hoss