Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/08/11 21:22:55 UTC

the beta bit

I'm getting dangerously close to building a beta candidate from the new
branch. However, I'm confused about release numbering and the beta bit.

1) If no one objects, I'd like to change my mind and call this candidate
10.2.0.5 beta. For purely esthetic reasons, I'd like to shoot for
calling the first release candidate 10.2.1.0.

2) And now for the beta flag. The instructions at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease tell me to make
sure the beta flag is set to true in release.properties. It turns out
that the flag is already set to true. When I build, the resulting
sysinfo claims that the code is alpha, not beta. The release id is
"10.2.0.5 alpha - (430831:430834)". This looks peculiar. What file needs
to be tweeked to give this a beta rather than an alpha name?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: the beta bit

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I'm getting dangerously close to building a beta candidate from the new
> branch. However, I'm confused about release numbering and the beta bit.
>
> 1) If no one objects, I'd like to change my mind and call this candidate
> 10.2.0.5 beta. For purely esthetic reasons, I'd like to shoot for
> calling the first release candidate 10.2.1.0.
>
> 2) And now for the beta flag. The instructions at
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease tell me to make
> sure the beta flag is set to true in release.properties. It turns out
> that the flag is already set to true. When I build, the resulting
> sysinfo claims that the code is alpha, not beta. The release id is
> "10.2.0.5 alpha - (430831:430834)". This looks peculiar. What file needs
> to be tweeked to give this a beta rather than an alpha name?

The zero in the third position forces alpha.

Covered here:

http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html

So I think you need 10.2.1.x beta

Dan.