Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/17 22:57:15 UTC

[Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??

Hey

Currently, we support 99.4% of all Android devices out in the wild.
That's great, but in reality we're having the following problems with
this approach:

1. We are having a tough time finding and keeping Android 2.1 devices
(most get upgraded to 2.3 or just die)
2. The devices we do have are over three years old and/or are total garbage
3. We have a dependency, commons-codec, which we have to currently
track so that it doesn't break the script.  This JAR is so we can
support Base64 on Android 2.1. (on 3.7% of all Android devices)

And those are the problems with supporting Android 2.1 off the top of
my head, not even getting into the crap state of the Android browser.
Then there's the Honeycomb tablets:

1. Hardware acceleration is broken

So, if we remove support for Honeycomb and Eclair and stick to Froyo,
Gingerbread, ICS and Jellybean, we should be able to eliminate most of
our pain points, and only not support 5.8% of Android users.  I don't
know if this is acceptable, and whether we should continue supporting
2.1 and 3.x forever, but given that we deprecated support for 1.x, I
think there's precedent for it.

Thoughts?

Joe

Re: [Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Not quite yet. I think we should just say that we're not supporting
Android 3.x.  It doesn't mean that the software won't work on 3.x,
since we won't be changing targets like with 2.1, but we will have the
ability to close any 3.x bugs with "Won't Fix", which would be great.

Does that sound good?

Joe

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
I'm in favour of going saying 2.2 and above. With regards to 3.x
devices, the percentages are quite low and most of those devices are
getting or already have gotten OS upgrades. The chances of someone
running a Cordova app on one of those devices are slim. We don't have
to come right out and say we don't support it but we can only give it
a cursory glace at release time just to make sure most of the
automated tests are passing.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Sounds like a new thread :)

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.

Posted by Braden Shepherdson <br...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
+1 for dropping 2.1

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
+1 to dropping 2.1. It's unlikely that people with 2.1 find much at all in
the Play Store that is up-to-date, and they can always use older versions
of apps that did support them.

+1 to dropping Honeycomb in terms of there are very few devices out there.
Although maybe if it's just that hardware accelerated flag that's the
issue, we could add a "How to add support for HC" in the wiki explaining
the issue.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brion Vibber <bv...@wikimedia.org>.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / bvibber @ wikimedia.org)

Re: [Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
I think keeping it above 95% is good.. Not sure. I will abstain from this
vote.