Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Widmar <SW...@irf.com> on 2007/07/24 16:43:22 UTC

Tomcat refuses to return dynamically generated images from TCD-deployed war

We use TCD [
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/deployer-howto.html#Deploying%20
using%20the%20Client%20Deployer%20Package ] for each deployment of one
project's .war file - to deploy .wars onto remote hosts, as well as
local ones during development.

One feature in this .war is dynamic generation of .png images.

For some reason, Tomcat will only return an image (or list the image
filename when the image directory URI is requested) if the image was in
the .war when it was uploaded.  If the image is dynamically generated,
it won't be returned for a direct request and it won't be listed in a
directory listing (yes listings set to true in tomcat's web.xml, yes
other files & static images are displaying in directory listings).

This is true for static images copied in after war deployment (say, a
.gif from the jsp-examples) as well as for the dynamically generated
images in question - neither displays in a listing nor is returned
(regardless of how the browser is refreshed).   And yes, the dynamically
generated images are otherwise fine - they load & look like they're
supposed to when accessed directly from the filesystem.

I've searched the web and mailing lists, I see no comments on this issue
so here I am.   Hoping it's something boneheaded & simple.

Guidance, anyone?

Cheers & thanks,
Steve Widmar

Ps: Tomcat 5.5.23, jvm 1.5.