Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2008/09/15 15:22:13 UTC

JSPWiki on a stick ....

Hi folks,

a german computer magacine (c't)  recently mentioned "Wiki in a JAR"
(see http://wiki-in-a-jar.sourceforge.net/) - the idea is to run the
wiki from an USB stick.

Having said that I just started thinking of reorganizing my personal
stuff in an open and flexible way - and a wiki would be a good thing.

I started tinkering with running JSPWiki in Jetty from an USB stick

+) the data would be served from the USB stick
+) logfiles are kept to a minimum - don't know if we want to store them
at all
+) I think using precompiled JSPs would be sensible
+) I assume that JSPWiki currently do not index PDF attachments

So I keep you informed about my progress/questions ...

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: JSPWiki on a stick ....

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi folks,

currently work in progress (see
http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/download/wikionastick/)

+) running on Jetty 6.1.10
+) using it daily to capture the stuff for my new project
+) did some initial testing on Windows XP, Ubuntu and Mac OS
+) created just for fun a windows application starter (can be migrated
to launch4j)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: JSPWiki on a stick ....

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I got a sensible Jetty and JSPWiki configuration and give it a try for
> the next week.
>
> If it works out
>
> +) I upload an archive to enable some field testing
> +) I have a look at patching the 2.8.0-beta-1 code base - in an ideal
> world I'm able to create the distributable from the ANT build.
>
> And I have one question - after starting JSPWiki there is a three second
> delay before the first page is rendered. I attached a profiler but
> couldn't spot anything unusual. I know it  is a rich men's problem but
> I'm interested in really good startup time and wonder were the three
> seconds are spent.

I've been using JSPWiki and Jetty for about five years now in a
standalone application (Ceryle) with no specific issues as regards
performance. Startup delays are normal and also occur when using
JSPWiki on Apache/Tomcat (and are similar with Jetty to an Apache/
Tomcat installation). These are due to a variety of startup tasks
such as reading properties, creating the various managers, building
lists and indexes, as well as the normal housekeeping of any web
application. If you have installed any additional features or added
features to pages (i.e., anything that requires the page upon
instantiation to perform tasks) will also cause a delay.

If you're really curious you could instrument all the JSPWiki
managers with System.err.println() calls at the start and end of
constructors and methods, which will get written to the server logs
as things start up. If running from a standalone application these
get written to the console, so you'd be able to actually watch
things happening live -- it's rather informative to see in what
order JSPWiki fires things up. I do this sometimes when debugging.

In summary, there is nothing unusual about any of it.

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: JSPWiki on a stick ....

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.