Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/12 21:43:48 UTC

Ivy Maven 2 Compatibility

Hi,

As you may have noticed on the ivy user list I've just setup a small
web site for searching Maven 2 repository:
http://javarepo.xoocode.org/

To implement this I've used Ivy Pom parser to parse poms from the
maven 2 repository, to extract some basic information like the
description and home page. This is a bit overkill for what I do in
javarepo, but the nice side effect is that I now have an error log
with all modules in current maven 2 repo for which Ivy is failing at
parse time. The error log is here:
http://people.apache.org/~xavier/ivy/maven2-ivy-err.log

As you can see a lot of errors are xml errors (use of undeclared
entity, unclosed tags, content not allowed in prolog, ...). There's
also quite a lot of poms in which we don't find the module name (I
haven't checked if this is our fault yet). Note that in my parsing I
haven't setup Ivy correctly, so Ivy was not able to find parent or
relocated modules, which may cause errors in the log we wouldn't have
in reality.

The good news is that we only have about 200 errors for the 28k+ poms
available in maven repo. This is not too bad, even though it doesn't
tell how different the dependency resolution itself would be.

Xavier
http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy Maven 2 Compatibility

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Gilles Scokart wrote:
> Cool, I think we should share those errors with the maven team.  They
> usually don't accept to patch meta-data, but when it is invalid XML I
> think they would accept.

Posted to the repository mailing list already. Apparently the &oslash;
thing was a hack done to m2 to support someone's name...very very
naughty; they must predefine the abbreviation before parsing.

 From Gilles Scokart's reply:
 >See also http://markmail.org/message/qujfp3uo7rhokhrb
 >
 >And http://markmail.org/message/sbouq623fdlujmzt
(>quoted from Brett)

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Ivy Maven 2 Compatibility

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
On 13/03/2008, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Cool, I think we should share those errors with the maven team.  They
>  >  usually don't accept to patch meta-data, but when it is invalid XML I
>  >  think they would accept.
>
> Yes, but we'd need to filter this list first, to give them only a list
>  with really invalid data.
>

>  >
>  >  Concerning the comparision with the maven resultion I started a few
>  >  month ago (during javapolis) to write some tests to compare transitive
>  >  dependencies.  I tested it on a local repository (very small), but I
>  >  found some differences.  That resulted in a few jira tickets that have
>  >  been fixed in 2.0-beta2.  (I also found some strange behavior in
>  >  maven).
>  >
>  >  I plan to relaunch this comparison as soon as I find some free time
>  >  (that will not happen soon :-( ).
>
> I'd be interested in the scripts you use to make the comparison

I'm afraid it is too dirty to be shared.  It is better to throw it
away and restart from scratch.  It is actually a java application
written on top of the ivy and some maven component (of an unknow
version).
I think I will rewrite it as a script using 'mvn dependency:tree' and
an ivy report.  That would be cleaner, and more easily extensible (for
example to compare with buildr experimental transitive dependencies).

--
Gilles Scokart

Re: Ivy Maven 2 Compatibility

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool, I think we should share those errors with the maven team.  They
>  usually don't accept to patch meta-data, but when it is invalid XML I
>  think they would accept.
Yes, but we'd need to filter this list first, to give them only a list
with really invalid data.

>  Concerning the comparision with the maven resultion I started a few
>  month ago (during javapolis) to write some tests to compare transitive
>  dependencies.  I tested it on a local repository (very small), but I
>  found some differences.  That resulted in a few jira tickets that have
>  been fixed in 2.0-beta2.  (I also found some strange behavior in
>  maven).
>
>  I plan to relaunch this comparison as soon as I find some free time
>  (that will not happen soon :-( ).
I'd be interested in the scripts you use to make the comparison

>  By the way, I'm interrested to know how you did this scan.  Did you
>  have a pom respository easily accessible or did you run that via
>  internet?
I have an rsync copy of maven 2 repo:
rsync -v -t -l -r rsync://rsync.cica.es/maven2 /home/xavier/maven

Scanning and parsing the 28k+ poms takes 12 minutes on a dedibox (a
very small cheap dedicated server hosting xoocode.org).

Xavier

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
Cool, I think we should share those errors with the maven team.  They
usually don't accept to patch meta-data, but when it is invalid XML I
think they would accept.

Concerning the comparision with the maven resultion I started a few
month ago (during javapolis) to write some tests to compare transitive
dependencies.  I tested it on a local repository (very small), but I
found some differences.  That resulted in a few jira tickets that have
been fixed in 2.0-beta2.  (I also found some strange behavior in
maven).

I plan to relaunch this comparison as soon as I find some free time
(that will not happen soon :-( ).

By the way, I'm interrested to know how you did this scan.  Did you
have a pom respository easily accessible or did you run that via
internet?

Gilles

On 12/03/2008, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  As you may have noticed on the ivy user list I've just setup a small
>  web site for searching Maven 2 repository:
>  http://javarepo.xoocode.org/
>
>  To implement this I've used Ivy Pom parser to parse poms from the
>  maven 2 repository, to extract some basic information like the
>  description and home page. This is a bit overkill for what I do in
>  javarepo, but the nice side effect is that I now have an error log
>  with all modules in current maven 2 repo for which Ivy is failing at
>  parse time. The error log is here:
>  http://people.apache.org/~xavier/ivy/maven2-ivy-err.log
>
>  As you can see a lot of errors are xml errors (use of undeclared
>  entity, unclosed tags, content not allowed in prolog, ...). There's
>  also quite a lot of poms in which we don't find the module name (I
>  haven't checked if this is our fault yet). Note that in my parsing I
>  haven't setup Ivy correctly, so Ivy was not able to find parent or
>  relocated modules, which may cause errors in the log we wouldn't have
>  in reality.
>
>  The good news is that we only have about 200 errors for the 28k+ poms
>  available in maven repo. This is not too bad, even though it doesn't
>  tell how different the dependency resolution itself would be.
>
>  Xavier
>  --
>  Xavier Hanin - Independent Java Consultant
>  http://xhab.blogspot.com/
>  http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
>  http://www.xoocode.org/

Gilles Scokart