Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lorenzo Thurman <lo...@thethurmans.com> on 2008/01/11 15:33:34 UTC

svn and executable bit

I've found a few posts which discuss how subversion handles the
executable bit and they answer most of my questions. I still have a
couple though:

1)Is there a way to set a directory to have the executable bit set for
any  of the files it contains? Such that I can add a file later w/o have
to set the prperty again.

2)Is there a way to set the execute bit globally? By this I mean it
seems that setting the executable bit only applies to those who have set
the property for their own commits/co , if I understand what I have read
so far. Is there a server setting that will apply to all commits/co?

Re: svn and executable bit

Posted by Lorenzo Thurman <lo...@thethurmans.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008, at 09:33, Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
>
>> I've found a few posts which discuss how subversion handles the
>> executable bit and they answer most of my questions. I still have a
>> couple though:
>>
>> 1)Is there a way to set a directory to have the executable bit set for
>> any  of the files it contains? Such that I can add a file later w/o
>> have to set the prperty again.
>
> No, there isn't.
>
>> 2)Is there a way to set the execute bit globally? By this I mean it
>> seems that setting the executable bit only applies to those who have
>> set the property for their own commits/co , if I understand what I
>> have read so far.
>
> If you're talking about the automatic property setting feature
> (auto-props) then yes that is specific to the client.
>
>> Is there a server setting that will apply to all commits/co?
>
> Not exactly, but you can write a pre-commit hook on the server to reject
> all commits of files that don't have the executable property set, if
> that's what you want.

Thanks very much for your reply. From what I've read, your answers were
the conclusions I had already drawn, I just wanted some confirmation.

Re: svn and executable bit

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.